Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

capacitor crossreference

found this kit on ebay for 69$ ...price sound about right ?

220 Axial Leaded High Voltage Film Capacitors : Pre WW2 uF Sizes- 630 WVDC

* 15 of 0.001uF at 630V
* 5 of 0.0015uF at 630V
* 15 of 0.002uF at 630V
* 5 of 0.003uF at 630V
* 5 of 0.004uF at 630V
* 15 of 0.005uF at 630V
* 5 of 0.006uF at 630V
* 30 of 0.01uF at 630V
* 10 of 0.015uF at 630V
* 25 of 0.02uF at 630V
* 10 of 0.03uF at 630V
* 10 of 0.04uF at 630V
* 30 if 0.05uF at 630V
* 10 of 0.06uF at 630V
* 25 of 0.1uF at 630V
* 5 of 0.25uF at 630V
* 4 feet of spaghetti tubing

Hi Howard,
Dave from Just Radios is a seller on Ebay.

Check out their kits.

http://www.justradios.com/capkits.html#kit1b

The Ebay ad said $2.90 shipping. I think that this is for an expidited service well worth it.

Dave took my order over the phone, I paid with Visa. The parts came within 5 days IIRC.
Probably better to do the buy over the phone rather than hassle with Epay.

I am happy with his service and may others say the same.
There are other cap sellers out there, but I think they are all in the same price range for a comparable kit.

I think you will be happy with the kit, and you will have LOTS of caps for future projects.
Take care,
Gary

to gary rabbitt
the white wire came off from the bakelite block capacitor terminal the first time i tried to look inside ..it runs to the on off switch under the tone arm .
Any idea what terminal it came from ?

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

Can anyone tell me what wire on this schematic is the white wire from the on off switch ?

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.

Iv figured out where the wire that came off went thanks to gary rabbitt ...but still get no power when i switch it on ..iv only replaced one capacitor
it is a .1mfd ..this is really getting frustrating as it would at least light the tubes and make my 40-180 hum when it was tuned to it before i replaced the first cap..Im getting close to skyhooking it into the dumpster out back .

I found the culprit it was the on off switch itself.. it seems to have a dead spot in it ...had to push it hard to the on position and hold it whith my thumb .. and thanks gary rabbitt for the photos they helped clear up a few other questions i had .

Success ! Got all the caps replaced hum is gone and it sends a pretty good sig throughout the house ...
Jacked my laptop into the RP-1 cart wires using windows media player radio tuner for stations ...I was surprised at how clear the sig is ...
As aggravating as it gets to back track 4 or 5 times its a real feeling of satisfaction when you accomplish what you set out to do ...Thanks SYL, AI2V,rabbit ..

Hi Howard,
I was not sure of you got the photos or not, but I am happy you got it working.
If the switch gives you more trouble, and contact cleaner does not help, I would take it apart and clean the contacts manually. Just watch out for any springs or ball bearings falling out Icon_smile

One note to the others here about your white wire. It is supposed to be connected to a one terminal, terminal strip or tie point. That is the AC line which goes to the main switch. Then routed to the tone arm switch for the motor.
That tie point is held in place using the bakelite block hold down screw, but no connection electrically to the bakelite block.
The other side of the AC line goes to the top terminal on the block, which also is connected to the unswitched side of the motor.

If your block has only one cap inside, it is the code 123 as mine is, and the diagram is almost the same, but with an added cap to couple the RF to the line cord.
The code 122 has 2 line caps. On the code 123, there is no connection to the center terminal on the bakelite block.
For those who want to see, here are the shots I sent Howard.

Take care, and have fun! Icon_smile
Gary.
[Image: http://grabbittradios.com/radio/rp1.jpg]
[Image: http://grabbittradios.com/radio/rp2.jpg]
[Image: http://grabbittradios.com/radio/rp3.jpg]
[Image: http://grabbittradios.com/radio/rp4.jpg]

.05 mfd
.2 mfd
.003 mfd
16 mfd
12 mfd

Need to know what the equivalent or substitute for these would be ...im going to recap and replace some wire in my 40-180 .
i bought a small batch of electrolytics and a kit of the smaller mfd caps ...

Your old values - modern equivalents

.05 mfd - .047 uF
.2 mfd - .22 uF
.003 mfd - .0033 uF
16 mfd - 22 uF
12 mfd - 10uF

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank ya sir .

What is the modern equivalent of a .004 mfd ?

I've seen .004 caps available, but if you can't find any, try .0047...quite common.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Would an .047 do the trick ? Looked threw my stash of caps and all i could find was .047 ? If not ill order some .

Or a .0033 ...I have a lot of those .