Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

capacitor crossreference

Don't use an .047 in place of a .004...the .047 is ten times larger than what you need (watch those decimal places)!

In a pinch, depending on where in the circuit the .004 is, the .0033 would probably be okay if you are trying to avoid buying just one cap to finish up a project.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Dave at Just Radios has the exact replacement values for most or all of those caps, including the 6uf electrolytic. I buy caps from him for that reason. I don't think anyone else sells the old values.

I bought an electrolytic kit and a tubular kit from Dave way back when, and every now and then I do an inventory and order some to replenish the kits. Occasionally, I run across a 1000 volt cap or an odd value mica cap in a Philco that I have to order special, and the kit replenishment caps help to make the order up to the $15 minimum order.

I haven't ordered the mica kit from Dave because there are only a couple of each value, and most of the values in the kit aren't ones I need. There are a lot I don't use in the electrolytic kit as well, but I didn't realize that when I ordered it. I use most of the values in the tubular kit.

Just Radios and Radio Daze both have resistors that look more like the originals than the modern styles do. Unfortunately I'd already bought resistor kits for 1/2 and 1 watt resistors before they started selling the old styles, so I have a lot to use up. You can buy most of the 1/2 watt resistors in modern styles you need from Radio Shack, but there are some values, like 2.2 Megaohm, they don't carry. Philcos from the '40s use a good many of that value so I bought a bag of 100--cheap--from Radio Daze.

Radio Shack doesn't carry any high-voltage caps, so it isn't even worth checking them out for tube radio projects. When I work on transistor radios they usually have what I want, though. Odd values in low voltage caps I order from Mouser--no minimum order.

John Honeycutt