Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

16b and model 20 pwr trans

are they interchangable?
phil

Phil, the model 16 power transformer will not interchange with a model 20. The 16 transformer is larger than the 20. Also the filament voltages are different.
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Ah, Steve beat me to it! Icon_biggrin

What Steve said.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

dang! i couldn't find specs but i knew some one here would know.
i just got a 16b but it has the horizonal power trans[from a 4 bander maybe?] in it instead of the vertical. it works but i was trying to get it looking more original looking and i just bought a 20 tranny for $10 as a spare.
oh well,someday i'll get a deal on an original,thanks guys!
phil

edit; anyone know distinct code differences? no label so i'm trying to figure what the chassis code is. it's using the 5z3 for the rectifier,not an 80.
thanks,phil

edit; anyone know distinct code differences? no label so i'm trying to figure what the chassis code is. it's using the 5z3 for the rectifier,not an 80.
thanks,phil

Phil, with a type 5Z3 rectifier, I think it would be a code 122 from a 16X console. A 16B with 5 bands would be a code 121 and would have a type 80 rectifier. Ron, correct me if I'm wrong.
Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Here you go:

5-band 16 sets - vertical power transformer
Code 121 - Cathedral (and later tombstone), 80 rectifier
Code 122 - Console models, 5Z3 rectifier
Code 123 - Chairside (inverted dial scale), 5Z3 rectifier

4-band 16 sets - horizontal power transformer
Code 125 - Tombstones, 80 rectifier
Code 126 - Console models, 5Z3 rectifier
Code 127 - Chairside (inverted dial scale), 5Z3 rectifier

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

hi ron,so all 16b five banders had the vertical tranny? i know the horizonal tranny in mine has been subbed in by the mounting method,not butchered but not original for sure.
are the 116x chassis' the same as a 16b?either way this is a monster reciever!
phil

i just looked at both of my 116x's,absolutely not the same as a 16 b,the xfmrs are way different than the one in the 16b also,i'll see if i can get a number off it tomorow.
phil

tranny number is 52c151,not a philco number,any guesses? n.a.'s schematic says 16b-121 has 80 rectifier,16b-122 has 5z3,mystery solved there.
phil

There is no such thing as a factory 16B Code 122. All 16B Baby Grand sets made prior to September-October 1934 were Code 121. After that, Code 125. And all 16B sets used an 80 rectifier per the chart I provided above.

A 116 chassis is similar in appearance and layout to a 16 Code 125, 126 & 127...but not quite the same. The 116 has a larger dial scale, different dial drive, addition of a long wave band.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

o.k., now i'm really confused. either i'm missing something or i'm a moron!
isn't this a 16b?

http://cgi.ebay.com/120365634759

and doesn't the schematic state right below the rectifier ;
note-these values are for 16-122. model 16-121 uses a type 80 rectifier?

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013139.pdf

The cabinet is indeed a 16B...but I'd never seen a 5-band chassis in this cabinet before, only in the cathedral and the version of this cabinet with the less pronounced peak to the cabinet top.

Did you buy this radio? If so, tell me, is there a large hole behind the tuning knob? If so...then, definitely, the chassis has been switched. The 4-band version uses dual concentric tuning knobs, necessitating the large hole for the larger concentric tuning shafts. A 5-band chassis where a 4-band chassis should be...a 5Z3 in place of an 80...this points to a chassis swap to me.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

hi again,i'll look at the knob holes when i get home.
a quik check of ebay shows 2 5 band 16b's right now,both in the higher peaked cabs,here's an example;

http://cgi.ebay.com/120372595036

there is also a low peaked cabinet also 5 bands;

http://cgi.ebay.com/120378739888

might be a lot of chassis swappin' going on!
and who blames them? the cabinets are beautiful!!
phil

hi,just checked nobshaft holes,all the same size.......however the tuning control hole has what appears to be a factory installed plug,matches the inside layers of wood,could this mod have been done to use up cabinets/chassis' in stock? does not appear to have been done at home.
phil