Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 38-9 console - capacitor questions

(08-01-2017, 08:37 PM)gcerio Wrote:  Ok - thanks to all the electrolytics have been changed and I brought the radio up to 75 volts on the variac and it plays surprisingly well - just with the three new caps - all the way across the band!  The beam of light bulb in this radio is an ancient GE #55 bulb and will not light.  I've verified that it's not open so I'll have to check whats up with it.  There is a giant 10K resistor in this radio it's reading high and I'd like to replace it.  I have a supply of 3 watt 10K resistors but I'm thinking that is not going to be enough given the size of whats in there now.  Just curious as to why the parts list does not show the power rating of this resistor?

According to the old Philco Repair Bench Site, The largest 10K watt resistor Philco used was only 2 watts, so a 3 Watt replacement will be fine. I've worked on close to a dozen from the 1930s, and unless you're replacing the Voltage dropping resistor strip, The biggest you should run across is a 3W.

Blessings,
Jeff W.
Jonesboro, Arkansas

http://jeffsradios.weebly.com

God loves you as you are, not as you should be, because none of us are as we should be. - Brennan Manning

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 38-9 console - capacitor questions - by PhilcoPhan1936 - 08-01-2017, 10:48 PM