Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1937 Philco 37-620 chairside and 1936 640 tombstone

>>some goof ball used off white latex to paint it

Ouch. Mine had been done in with red filler and mahogany varnish, but at least it wasn't white. My goofball lost some of the front inlay, and replaced it with plastic wood painted black. I found some ebony that matched pretty well. As a final touch, said goofball stapled the grille cloth carrier to the cabinet, but used staples that were too long. Yup, right out through the face veneer. Oh I'll bet he was mad. I think he gave up at that point, since the chassis hadn't been touched.

Geez, those shaby chic nuts go a bit far, sometimes you wonder if people engage the grey matter before doing stuff like checking to see if the staples are too long etc.

Hello Alan,
Well I thinking my be your goofball is the sameone bought a Ge M-50 from on ebay .Well he did what your goofball did stapled the grille cloth carrier to the cabinet, but used staples that were too long. Yup, right out through the face veneer. but it just cracked the veener on mine . figured it may lay flat once those staples are gone I took the chassis out and wow the guy recycled used caps he tacked with very little solder and used electrical tape in place . Glad I never pluged the set in.

49Stude63 Wrote:Geez, those shaby chic nuts go a bit far, sometimes you wonder if people engage the grey matter before doing stuff like checking to see if the staples are too long etc.
Thank god that show "Trading Spaces" is basically canceled and the old episodes relegated to early morning re-runs, time after time I saw them destroying some nice piece of furniture with paint just to give it a "New Look" of "Shabby Chic". I almost threw a brick through the TV when I saw them painting over burl walnut. What is it with lady interior decorators with painting over fine woodwork? If they want to paint something paint plastic, particleboard, or pine, not walnut, not mahogany, not quarter sawed oak. Just about every room they did looked like H**l afterwards, with few exceptions, the exceptions being the ones that did not go for the "Country" or the "Shabb Chic" look. Paint, and oil stain for radio cabinets is what vinyl siding and cheap paneling is to houses.
Best Regards
Arran