Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 39-55

I have a 39-55 remote set that I have had for about 20 years. When I first purchased it I got is working and the radio and remote control were very good performers. At that time however it was not yet common to do a full recap and it needs it now. The main problem that I have with it now is that I can not turn it on. When I hit the switch the volume motor does not turn. Is there a starting capacitor for this motor? I see a 30mfd x 30 volt cap in the circuit and it looks to be a 30 volt AC cap but the schematic that I have does not specify this. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve

BTW, Ron, I will still get you better pictures of that 1942 remote control. I just have not had the time for the last few weeks.

The Mystery Control only turns OFF the set, as volume is decreased past minimum. You have to get up and turn it ON manually. Icon_smile

See my site for operational details.

Hi Chuck:

Sorry, I should have made my post more clear. I can not turn it on manually. When I turn the knob to the on (or volume up) position the motor sounds like it is energized but does not turn over. I can't give too much more info at this time as I live in California and the radio is in Wisconsin. I will be going back there later this week for a two week visit and would like to get it working again.

Steve

Sorry for mis-leading info Steve. Never had one of these sets and was at work trying to remember the function.

Chuck:

When the manual switch is pushed on shouldn't the volume motor start running? This is what is not happening. I believe the volume control motor is getting power but it is not turning. I was just hoping that the motor is not bad.

Steve

The "off-on-volume" control on the radio is actually a two-position switch, part (56) on the schematic, which makes the motor run in one direction or the other to turn the volume control one way or the other. The thumbwheel control will only "give" a little bit up or down - this mechanically actuates switch (56).

The motor, and the off-on-volume control assembly, are both mounted under the chassis and mechanically coupled together with gears.

In short, if the motor she do not a turn, the volume control she do not a turn either. Icon_smile

Yes, the motor does have a motor run capacitor; it is part (59). Original specs call for 30 uF, 30 volts; do NOT use a regular polarized electrolytic as a replacement!

I've never owned one of these either, but I've serviced a few of the 39-116 variety. Not much fun...and definitely not for the novice. You haven't lived until you've encountered a non-functioning stepper unit (which is under the large rectangular metal cover on top of the chassis). Icon_evil To be honest, I don't want one, first wireless remote or not. Not trying to discourage you, Steve...but I really don't like to work on them.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks guys for the help!

I hope that the starting cap will solve my problem. When I had this set working it was a lot of fun. The remote worked very well and up to about 20 feet away.

Steve