Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 71 code 225 shadow meter

Hi everyone, I have a 71 cathedral with a code 225 chassis. I figured out  (after a while) that code 225 should mean two speakers, this is a cathedral though and the K 7 speaker had separate pins soldered to the three  wires and plugged in the 4 pin socket on the chassis. Was a 2 speaker chassis (221, 223 or 225) chassis ever used in a cathedral cabinet? If so then was a K 7 speaker with a plug used for the attachment? I am guessing all 2 speaker chassis used the 4 pin socket instead of being "hardwired". My main question relates to the shadow meter though, the coil is open. To bypass this , should I solder a resistor across the terminals on the strip on top of  the #8 choke? I replaced the electrolytic caps and am working on the bakelite blocks, the audio section is working after figuring out  the loose speaker pin arrangement. The cabinet is really nice so I want to finish this project. The 71-225 chassis does not match the schematic for a 71-221 and it has the separate tube shields . Any comments and help with bypassing the shadow meter are welcome.
I have a 71-123 chassis with replaced caps and  transferred non working shadow meter in the pristine cabinet right now.

Bob..

The shadow meter was attached to the terminals on the strip bolted to the top of choke #8 (described as A and B ) in the instructions for installing a shadow tuning meter in model 71. I am going to try soldering a 1000 ohm resistor to those terminals. The instructions I just mentioned stated that some of the later 71 models had a short piece of wire connecting A and B which only required removal and replacement with the new shadow meter wires. How could the shadow meter coil replace a short piece of wire?

Hi Bob,
You can solder a 1k resistor across the open coil or I would suspect you could just solder a jumper across it also. Depending on what style sm you have, some are not too difficult to rewind and make functional again.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry