Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

A BIG Philco

OK I just got a Philco 39-116...What a beast..heavy as a brick schoolhouse! I [maybe not a good idea] tried a
fast power-up, and the power cord got rather warm,  no bad hums, but thinking a filter cap is shot..grrrr. What did
I just get myself into. Icon_mrgreen??

(09-26-2017, 08:46 PM)radiofreak Wrote:  I [maybe not a good idea] tried a
fast power-up, and the power cord got rather warm, 

No, definitely not a good idea. It is 1)useless and 2)dangerous.

If you want to check the power transformer, you could extract the tubes (and you need to do that anyway to check them) and then power up through a know good cord and a variac and measure the transformer's outputs. Powering up a non-recapped radio is a dangerous waste of time.

Start with checking that transformer, then cleaning, then full recap, then tubes test.
Then you could try the power-up and start troubleshooting (if needed) and alignment (if it all works).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

At the very least get/build a dim bulb tester.

Users browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)
[-]
Recent Posts
What do I have? Philco 655
hello Adam, What a great looking radio and I agree with mr Fixr and Gary if Ron was still with us I am sure he would re...radiorich — 10:23 PM
Wouldn't be the first "Phranken-Philco" to come out of the factory. Kinda like model year end cars built back...GarySP — 07:45 PM
Philco Model 76 Highboy
That's a nice looking cabinet. With a little bit of rub on stain and paste wax that should even out the finish. When you...Radioroslyn — 05:20 PM
Hi Adam, Others may know more than me, but it was not uncommon for Philco to run out of cabinets and use one for a new...MrFixr55 — 02:51 PM
Haven't been on here in a while, and it's been a while since I've worked on a Philco.  I picked this up a while back, an...adamrobertg — 08:10 AM
Clear Schematic for 41-255
Hello Ross, We have all been there don't worry the guys here have you taken care of !! Sincerely Richardradiorich — 09:35 PM
What's really funny is I looked at the pages and saw 255 and it took me 30 sec of looking at the schematic trying to fig...RossH — 05:19 PM
Ross, sorry, clicked on the wrong one. here's the down load for the 41-255 as an attachment.klondike98 — 04:40 PM
RossH - Were you looking at our copy of the 1941 Yearbook, or one that you found elsewhere?DaleHCook — 04:12 PM
Ditto. Perfectly readable here. Monitor or computer problems?!rfeenstra — 12:10 PM

[-]
Who's Online
There are currently no members online.

>