Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1930 Philco transformer question

Hello, I have a 1930 Philco model 77 radio and it needed a transformer which I finally located but when i recieved it, it had 3 red wires where the orignial transformer only had one. The man I bought it from said they were interchangable for a few years but I don't know what to do with the other 2 red wires, where do they go? Other than the additional red wires it is idential to the old one. Help! I don't know what to do... Tom

You might have a power transformer from a Model 76. Part no. 3868. It has three wires in addition to the solder terminals.

Two of the wires are the 110 volt primary winding; the third is the center tap for the high voltage secondary winding (lead "B" on schematic) .

Using your multimeter, you will be able to tell which two of the three wires are the primary leads.

You'll also need to know what terminal is for what purpose. Using the picture below, here is what each terminal is for:

1 - High voltage center tap
2 - Center tap of winding "C" (filament voltage to the 45 tubes and pilot lamp)
3 & 4 - Filament winding for 24 & 27 tubes
5 & 6 - Filament winding for 45 tubes
7 & 10 - High voltage secondary
8 & 9 - Filament winding for 80 tube

[Image: http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k420/...76tran.jpg]

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I can't thank you enough! Your the best of the best! I'm on my way to tackle the situation now. Couldn't have done it without you! Thanks Again!