Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ever use too much bathroom tissue??

Spkr from a model 66 that's on the bench. Stiff as a board!

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Icon_eek huh

mike (morzh)  this is family friendly phorum.   restrain yourself Icon_cool

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Icon_lol

I have patched with coffee filter and glue but never as full a covering as that. How does it sound Terry? Any response through the paper?

Paul

Tubetalk1

Sam, what are you talking about? I was not even here.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

So Paul,
To answer your question I just got though going over the chassis. And yeah the speaker stinks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes speaker stinks  Icon_lol

Mike no wise comments  Icon_question

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Well, might as well comment.
What do you expect of a speaker with tons of toilet paper on it? And who can assure us it is unused?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Doesn't matter it's leaving. Found some modern replacement cones @.79c ea. Just have to order a few.
Left it run for while, checked the IF alignment and it was very good. Did notice that it didn't that
seem like the avc wasn't working. Found an open 2M resistor in the avc circuit replacing that put the problem to rest.
Was a little surprised to see that there is no ant or osc adjustments for the sw band.
Onward to the cabinet it's a mess. It's called a 66B but it looks like a MB cabinet.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Ebay find on the cones? Nice pick up, cones are getting hard to find and some reconers I know are turning away work, they can't find cones.

Good luck.

Paul

Tubetalk1

I know Sound Remedy could not recone my 14" 38-690 speaker. They offered to put a 12" one in there.

http://www.electronix.com/speaker-replac...13892.html

Have used these before to recone a few pie pan speakers. Unfortunately they have a foam surround but the price is very good. Finding the all paper cones can be a daunting task with usable dimensions. The critical ones are the center hole (a lot of the modern ones have a large hole) and the depth.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So the cones came in abt a week ago and started to fit it to the K spkr. I found that they aren't a good match as they are too deep and have to cut down the foam to fit the basket. Was hoping the foam would fit w/o a trim, with a trim it makes the glue able surface kinda small. It was necessary to enlarge the vc hole to abt 2 1/2" to get a usable depth. W/o doing this the vc will bottom out. I still have glue the outside edge but it works well it this point.

Attached Files Image(s)

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

They make a cone that does not have to be cut down. I bought a bunch of these at about $1 each. They still have to be spaced back so the foam does not rub. But, they do sound better.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Here is another one. This one does need a spacer around the outer edge. These came from a vendor on E-Pay.

I think - this guy:

speakerguy2002

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/