Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 118x floor model restoration

well boys, the dang thing works!

i mean, not real well yet, but i definitely picked up a couple station in both the AM and shortwave bands, so id consider that a smashing success so far!

so, now an onslaught of newb questions:

antenna....is there a preferred length, gauge, or type of wire? (stranded vs solid)

also, i have no idea what aligning a radio means....dont worry, ill do some research into it, so you dont have to necessarily walk me through step by step, but im sure ill have questions when it comes to trying it. but if anyone had a preferred page that describes what i'd be doing and why, id love to check it out.

im not sure if its totally functional, but a few months back i picked up this thing called a radio analyst, made by BK precision....if i had to guess, i can use that thing to do all sorts of fancy stuff. still have to read the manual on that though, and like i said, i dont even know if its fully functional or not.

the last bits are mostly cosmetic....i would like to replace the grill cloth because its a little kicked in, and there a significant hole knocked into the speaker cone, although it actually sounded pretty good last night, all in all. so until i get the radio tuned in properly, i guess im not too worried about reconing it. do you think i could get away with just sort of gluing a piece of thick paperboard to the cone and repairing it that way? i cant imagine it affecting the sound all that much.

does anyone have good recommendations for where to get grill cloth? i recently acquired a 1938 united american bosch radio that will also need some grill cloth after i rebuild its chassis and get it working again, as well as an old gretsch "twin reverb" guitar amp that im soon to be working on. i figure i might as well get it all at the same time...

as usual, all your help is invaluable, and i cant thank you guys enough for walking me through my first radio repair!

Brian Foose

Messages In This Thread
Philco 118x floor model restoration - by Foose - 11-05-2017, 03:02 PM
RE: Philco 118x floor model restoration - by Foose - 12-04-2017, 03:50 PM