Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 45C volume control pot question?

So after getting to my last bakelite block to recap, I noticed that the volume control does not have the tap at 75,000 ohms to lower the bass at higher volume levels... it is just a basic 3 wire control pot... They took the 10K ohm resistor and .05 cap in the bakelite block that would have connected to the tap and hooked them to the ground side of the pot... so basically the resistor and cap are doing nothing... It is just wired in like a normal non-tap volume control... Will this affect the performance at all or hurt the radio other than the lowering of bass at higher volume levels? It will not get listened to at a high volume level so it may never get turned up to where this tap would have been introduced into the circuit anyway... Any thoughts?

Methinks that the tap is what creates the bass boost at low volume so low volumes the bass will be diminish w/o the tap. Does it hurt anything nah.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So I may just have little to no bass at lower volume levels with no change as the radio is turned up? That would be fine as I dont think this would put out a lot of bass anyway... Maybe ill search around and see if I can find a different control if I dont like the sound... Thanks, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt hurting anything by not having that cap and resistor in the circuit...