Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 80C - tuning question

Thanks for the ideas.
Well question 1 answered, it should squeal when adjusted, so I'll have to go back and check things out again.

The adjustment has a bakelite nut.  At the moment, that is still functional, but it has a crack and I have to be gentle with it till I find a replacement. 

I ended up replacing almost every resistor and cap including a bad mica which was the first one I ever found bad.  Early on I did find resistor (old) that measured acceptable when cold and then once it warmed up opened up.  Probably should have just replaced the two or three I kept.  That will probably be my first stop.

I had pulled all three coils, which one had the bad mica, resistors replaced.  All checked, all good and then soldered them back in.  That's wasn't a hard job to do.  However, I wonder if when they were soldered back in that created a problem.  I've read somewhere here on the web that sometimes the connections get broken when they are resoldered.

I am using a signal generator to align, and by ear, and connected in all but the last step.  But your probably right that the generator outputs too strong a signal. 

I'll go back and recheck the coils, see what I find there, and re-check and probably replace that last two or so resistors and go from there. 

Thanks

Messages In This Thread
Philco Model 80C - tuning question - by gellenb - 12-02-2017, 07:29 PM
RE: Philco Model 80C - tuning question - by gellenb - 12-03-2017, 10:51 AM