Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Radio Model 14 Code 122

To anyone in the Philco Phorum,

I have a Philco Radio Model 14 Code 122 I am trying to restore.
The mice have gotten onto the set and have chewed on the some of the wiring
and also destroyed the band switch Part Number 42-1035.
This is a two band radio and as far as I know the switch could be shorting or
non-shorting. If anyone knows how to replace the switch with a modern equivalent
or has a spare part or junker radio please let me know.
I thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Robert Johnson

Hi

What you need is a 6 pole, 2 position rotary switch. I believe you may be able to get such a switch from Mouser Electronics, but you will probably have to come up with a way to lengthen the shaft to use in your radio. I bought one from them a few years ago for a Model 29 chassis that I never did restore.

http://www.mouser.com/

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron,

Thank you for your reply, I have for you three questions.
One: Do I use a Shorting or Non shorting switch?
Two: How do I wire the set using the part?
Three: Could you provide a wiring diagram for me?
Please let me know what you advise.
Hope to hear from you.

Sincerely,
Robert Johnson

1) You probably want non-shorting in this application.
2) Simply follow the Philco schematic diagram. The "poles" are the lower end of each switch on the schematic.
3) Sorry, no, my spare time is already extremely limited and I honestly do not have the time to sit down and make such a drawing...see #2 above.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

To any one in the Philco Phorum,

I have recieved some information from Ron Ramirez on what kind of switch to use.
Ron said he too busy to draw a wiring diagram for me.
Which I can understand since Ron has a lot things on his plate but sometimes
my autism gets in the way and I need a drawing to help me to get a better
mental picture of what I need to do to wire this set.
So if there is anyone who has the time and inclination to help, it would be nice.
I thank you for your time

Sincerely,
Robert Johnson

Radiojunkie, hi. I would be willing to give it a try but I can't read the schematic I found on Nostalgia Air for Mod 14. What I mean is it's too blurred for me to see what goes where. I would also need the configuration of the rotory switch (one wafer, two wafer).Do you have a clear copy of the schematic? If your at all handy, extending the shaft is not too difficult. I believe you can buy extension shafts. If you have clear schematic, e-mail it to me. I'll check Mouser for switch configuration. PL

Radiojunkie, I checked Mouser and have found suitable rotary switch, pt # 105-SR2511F-62RN, 6 pole, 2 position, $2.79 +p & h. The spec. sheet gave me a pretty good idea of positions of terminals and how to wire them. From the schematic I got from Nostalgia Air I can make out 6 switches that apparently have no conection when in open (first) position only connect when closed second) position, is that correct? If that is correct all you have to do is start at on pole on switch being designated as the furthest left on the schematic and then work around the switch so each pole picks up a switch from schematic working from left to right on schematic. The only snag would be to make sure you have the switch rotation oriented correctly. If when you face front of radio you turn knob clockwise to go from broadcast to SW, then when wiring back of switch your wires would go to the counterclockwise terminal (left) of the two terminals for each pole. Of course the reverse would be true if broadcast to SW is counterclockwise turn from front of radio. Let me hear from you and I'll upload drawings that may help. PL

Planigan,
This is Radiojunkie and I would like to thank you for replying to my message.
You can reach me at Johnson5530@comcast.net to download the drawings.
I am sorry but I do not have any clear schems of the set.
I wish I could find them without having to pay for them.
If you have Riders volume 4 or know someone who does, then you can get some
better schems of the set to help you.
Hope to hear from you soon

Sincerely,
Radiojunkie