Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

1948 Philco Mopar 802

While driving my 1948 Chrysler and listening to the radio it suddenly became a loud buzzing noise - no tuning in of stations.  The vibrator is still working as when I re- turn it on it hums for a few before this loud buzzing occurs. Any ideas come to mind.  The car was in storage for 60 years but radio has been working fine for the 250 miles I have driven it since out of storage.  Not an antenna problem.

I strongly suggest you take the radio out of the dash, and replace ALL of the paper and electrolytic condensers in it. Check the resistors for value to make sure they are still within spec, usually 20% of original value, and replace if necessary. Once you have the radio out, see what numbers you can find on it as to model etc. That will help looking up the schematic and parts list.

to answer your question, try pulling out the antenna wire plug to see if that stops the buzzing. wishful thinking, perhaps, but a simple test. or maybe that’s what you meant by Not an antenna problem.
here's a link to information about the radio. maybe too much. with lots of "tests to isolate trouble." most of which require test equipment and that you remove the radio from the car.

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...013846.pdf

good luck. and keep us posted.

Thank for all the info it is a Philco 4608 (Mopar 802).  It looks almost brand new because it is from a one owner California car that was in storage for 60 years and has only 38K mile.  I have found a a good repair shop that I am taking it to.  Pushing the dial bottom button does not lock in manual tuning so it needed to come out and I will have all the caps etc replaced

now why could i never find a car like that???!!!

and  is it a business coupe?

It is a 1948 Town and Country convertible

i know its off topic but i cant resist, when i was in high school in 68 a classmate found a '47 business coupe with low miles it was a beautiful car. the idiot wrapped it around a telephone pole 6 mos later. i could have cried.

Is it a "Sportsman", with the woodgrain? Saw a 46 Ford (I'm a Ford Guy) Convertible with the woodgrain (Real wood) option. The thing was gorgeous!! I had one of these from a 40s Dodge that I rescued from the Town Dump as a kid. can't remember if it was a Motorola or a Philco, but it was the same outline as yours with a push pull output. It eventually went the way of the car, but I was impressed with the sound and sensitivity of the radio. One of the reasons I collect radios is because my wife, Jan won't let me collect cars.

"Do Justly, love Mercy and walk humbly with your God"- Micah 6:8
Best Regards, 

MrFixr55

It is a woodie convertible