Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Chairsides

While doing my weekly search for radio auctions i came across one with a Philco Chairside Radiobar. All of the Radiobars i have ever seen have been consoles. Did such an animal exist? I checked the gallery and The Radio Attic and found no mention or pictures of chairside radiobars. What can anyone tell me about this. Thanks Radoez

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photos which were attached to this post are no longer available.

It is legit. I've seen photos of one of these before, and actually saw a chariside Radiobar at a swap meet a few years ago.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Now that is sweet! Looks like about a '37 to me.

Phil aka Philbert Q. Desenex - Twin Cities, MN

Pretty cool! Seems like they traded some style for utility though Icon_wink

Thanks Ron can you offer any more information? I thought it might be a 38 model. It would seem to me that it is somewhat impractical for a bar in a chairside. Kind of like putting your liquor and glassware in the bottom cabinet of your kitchen cupboard. That chairside can't be any higher than 30 inches off the floor. Seems like it would be a hassle just to mix up your favorite cocktail. I would imagine the console versions sold much better than the chairside for just that reason

I never really concerned myself with Radiobars before i saw this and it made me wonder how they came to be. Did Philco solicit that business or did someone come to them with their idea to turn a radio into a multipurpose entertainment center? Were they sold to Radiobar for conversions and then resold or did they build them right at the factory? Thanks Radoez

I think that the inside of the flip open lid was what was used to mix and serve the drinks, the lower portion was for glass and utensil storage, so it wasn't like you had to kneel on the floor to use it. Not sure about the collection of glassware in the lower cabinet, it looks like something is missing, did it have decanters as well?
Best Regards
Arran