Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-12 pointer/dial

I searched around and was unable to find any info.

I have not gone too deep into my latest restore a 38-12 but I was wondering if anyone had seen the dial that radiodaze sells for this. It currently has the gold face and Radiodaze has a replacement. Mine has a huge scrap across the front (Probably done by the last guy since it did have a couple of new caps in it) I would like to know how close it is to the original.

And what is the easiest way to get the pointer off of the tuning gang?

Daniel

I have not seen the repro dials, so cannot comment on them.

The dial pointer is a press fit onto the tuning condenser shaft. Be careful...it can break (don't ask me how I know).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I bought a repro dial from RadioDaze and while it's not as pretty as the gold foil one, it's not too bad. Pop me your email address and I can send you a picture of how it looks as well as the scan that RadioDaze initially sent me of the unit.

BTW: Here is what RadioDaze sent me along with the dial scan -

We do make a replacement dial scale for the Philco 38-12. It is our part number DS-A124 which is priced at $17.00 plus $2.00 for shipping within the USA.

The original dial scale used by Philco on the 38-12 was printed on embossed gold foil card stock which is impractical to reproduce these days because of the tooling costs involved.

Our dial is a likeness of the original dial, printed on a metallic gold film which is then laminated with a couple layers of clear plastic film on both the front and back. The dial comes with all the holes punched.

I've attached a scanned image of it. This image does not show the metallic gold color as vividly as it really is. Still, it isn't as pretty as the original dial.

Note from site admin: Sorry, but the photo which was attached to this post is no longer available.