Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Calling it quits for now.

I picked up a vintage Marantz stereo set up, and decided to get out of the antique Philcos for now. Both my sets were moved into the basement, to make room for the new toys. I wanted to thank those who helped me with my questions. You guys have been great!

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

Okay, enjoy the Marantz stuff...but don't be a stranger, drop back in anytime! Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Okay, enjoy the Marantz stuff...but don't be a stranger, drop back in anytime! Icon_smile
You can be assured of it! I suppose I'm simply going through a series of mid life crisis, so my wife says. I had a Marantz receiver from the 1970s, back in the 1980s. I recently got the fever again and bought a few very nice pieces from the late 1960s and have gone into hyperrestoration. The Philcos are in the basement, and I will one day focus my attention on them, but for now, I have got to unleash the full potential of a 1967 marantz AmPreamp, and Tuner!

Hey, there are worse things to do in a "midlife crisis" than buy Marantz stereo equipment...like acquiring a new Corvette, twenty-something girlfriend, etc., etc. ... Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Hey, there are worse things to do in a "midlife crisis" than buy Marantz stereo equipment...like acquiring a new Corvette, twenty-something girlfriend, etc., etc. ... Icon_lol

You rang? Icon_smile

I guess a lot of us in 'our' age group FINALLY get the chance to have that Marantz (mine is a Sansui 8080DB) that we couldn't afford back when they were the thing. I gave up on the sports cars.

I also love the Hi Fi stuff and collect it.I indulge that interest by alternating Hi Fi work with Philco restorations. Tonight I completed a Curtis Mathes 2918 circa 1960 and have it on my computer desk. Sounds nice but no Marantz. Next I'll give attention to my 38-116 now that I have a junker chassis to repair the dial damaged in shipment. Don't know how long it will take to finish it but have scheduled calibration of a Sencore SG-165 when the 38-116 is finished. Then I'll align my 48-482 {9.1 MC IF}. Follow that with restoration of a 90 console, single ended 47. Then I'll do a Pilot 601 etc. May not live long enough to restore them all but will die happy. Now I'm looking for a 48-1274 or1276.

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Hey, there are worse things to do in a "midlife crisis" than buy Marantz stereo equipment...like acquiring a new Corvette, twenty-something girlfriend, etc., etc. ... Icon_lol
It took me 18 years to get my present wife squared away. Or did she square me away? Anyway, The wife I already have is an absolute keeper!

exray Wrote:I guess a lot of us in 'our' age group FINALLY get the chance to have that Marantz (mine is a Sansui 8080DB) that we couldn't afford back when they were the thing. I gave up on the sports cars.
My first Marantz was only a receiver back then, and it actually cost far less than what they go for on e bay at the present! I'm astonished at the prices. Right now, I'm restoring electronically, a marantz model 15 dual mono block amp, a model 7t preamp, and a model 115B tuner. I run a pair of Dahlquist DQ10s and together, the set up sounds unbelievable! I paid dearly for the model 15 and 7t, but they are show room condition right now, with the original wood cabinets, and paperwork and manuals!

I pulled the trigger again on the Philco model 70. I say pulled the trigger, because I don't know the state of the guts inside, so it is in a sense, like playing Russian roulette. No bang yet! But the Model 70 does sound so cool. What is it about those old tubes that even the most expensive transistors could never duplicate? It's as though these old radios are sort of organic in their sound and personality. Does that sound absurd? I don't know, I just think it really is fun toying with those old sets! When I finish my Marantz, I want to tackle the cathedral and then hit the Philco console we have, as that one just gives static. No programs as yet, but I can tell that it wants to sound even better than the cathedral. Anyway, it won't be long and I'll drag these old radios back up stairs.

Sounds like you are having withdrawal pains already. Somehow just using your wits, simple tools, and analog logic to solve problems and restore things has always been a relaxing thing for me. You find out how coever and resourceful you can be, and if in your real life do not practice a trade where you deal with tangible items, it is a chance to do something different.

I have a pile of Hammond organ amps, some converted to Fender guitar amps, some untouched, a quad of Fisher 80AZ amps fixed but unused, and a small mountain of solid state Altec Mixers and amps. We go through stages. Probably time for me to get on Epay and move some of this out to someone else's basement. Good Luck!

That's an understatement! I am such a perfectionist, and both my Philcos need a bit of work, such as the grill cloth that is on the cathedral, is something from the back drop of Rowen and Martins Laugh In! Why someone put that in there-holy cow! The rest of the cabinet and chassis is sweet! But I couldn't take looking at that grill cloth. Then I located a place that has the original cloth I had been looking for! Ok, so When I get it and put it into the set, I can stand to bring it back up to the living space, where it can wait until I've had a chance to get in there and recap. I'm gonna be back here posting photos of the project (model 70) when I get the time.I'll even post a photo of the grill cloth I'm replacing!

Well, if you can guide the grille cloth down little by little by pulling on it and sticking pins in in the cardboard until it lines up. Use those little binder clips you took from the office to "remember" your advancement. Once you have it all straigened you you can glue down the farthest edges of the grille cloth one segment at a time to the cardboard, one segment at a time. Takes days, but it works. If you need to firm up he ends of the cloth, bond them first with a little bit of "Elmer's" after correting the weave as best you can. It is an iterative process and is quite reversable with water. Always know where the visible regions of the grille cloth are (they will be darker,) and other than that you can't get into too much trouble.

I can enjoy old and new (well, recent) things equally well. I have several of the early Marantz, 5 Mac 30's, 2 Mac 70's, a Mac 225. Also, about 70 Philcos, a Brook 10A, several Fisher tube sets, 4 EV Patricians, about 80 or so vintage RCA sets, 3 Scott sets, a few Stromberg-Carlsons, and other stuff like that. I can wander in and out of any of it, and get the same enjoyment from any of it. To audition records in my 7 8 RPM collection, I use a Garrard transcription turntable, a Mac 30, and E-V SP12B in an Aristocrat cabinet. But I enjoy the old Victor scrolls equally well on a Victor 9-18 or RE-45.

The quest for perfection often leads to gross dissatisfaction. There are many in our world who never find their holy grail, because they didn't recognize it when they sped past it.

I understand that all of us are different and have varied motivations. I'm different in my own way, but I'm content with the toys I have. However you are able to get your kicks with your toys, do it, and have fun.

codefox1 Wrote:Well, if you can guide the grille cloth down little by little by pulling on it and sticking pins in in the cardboard until it lines up. Use those little binder clips you took from the office to "remember" your advancement. Once you have it all straigened you you can glue down the farthest edges of the grille cloth one segment at a time to the cardboard, one segment at a time. Takes days, but it works. If you need to firm up he ends of the cloth, bond them first with a little bit of "Elmer's" after correting the weave as best you can. It is an iterative process and is quite reversable with water. Always know where the visible regions of the grille cloth are (they will be darker,) and other than that you can't get into too much trouble.
Codefox1, I was going to simply lay the set on its face and lay the cloth in there and re attach the speaker. I was contemplating even leaving the other cloth in place because it was glued fairly well. Was worried about destroying the cardboard backer......Is that not a good idea?

Doug Houston Wrote:I can enjoy old and new (well, recent) things equally well. I have several of the early Marantz, 5 Mac 30's, 2 Mac 70's, a Mac 225. Also, about 70 Philcos, a Brook 10A, several Fisher tube sets, 4 EV Patricians, about 80 or so vintage RCA sets, 3 Scott sets, a few Stromberg-Carlsons, and other stuff like that. I can wander in and out of any of it, and get the same enjoyment from any of it. To audition records in my 7 8 RPM collection, I use a Garrard transcription turntable, a Mac 30, and E-V SP12B in an Aristocrat cabinet. But I enjoy the old Victor scrolls equally well on a Victor 9-18 or RE-45.

The quest for perfection often leads to gross dissatisfaction. There are many in our world who never find their holy grail, because they didn't recognize it when they sped past it.

I understand that all of us are different and have varied motivations. I'm different in my own way, but I'm content with the toys I have. However you are able to get your kicks with your toys, do it, and have fun.
I wasn't so concerned with perfection, although my 3 marantz pieces are showroom. I just wanted and got, that connection to when I was younger, and reliving that classic audio gear sound.