Guest Join UsHello Guest,
Please feel free to join us!
Unlock sections of the Phorum that non-members cannot see.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next project: Western Air Patrol
Hi Folks,

I will find pics of the nice little tabletop that will be the next project. A Western Air Patrol 388.

The web offers very little on this 3 band AM + 2 SW set. It also has presets. I found only 2 clues so far. Vintage info was helped by the valves carrying shop test labels dated 1941, and I suspect these are only a year or two post manufacture.

It is in good shape and seems complete. First thing will be to assess, recap and then tackle the rusty chassis if things are promising. Watch (should that be listen to?) this space.

Cheers,

Ed
Never even heard of them. A California company. They have some neat looking sets.
People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.
They do seem rare, and the trail I found on the brand suggests sets commissioned from several manufacturers, rather than being a radio "house" in their own right. Parent company seems to have been based in Los Angeles, where we obtained the set. Google reveals some spectacular consoles.

This one has modern styling for the time (if I am correct about that). It also has a push pull output stage, magic eye indicator and good sized power transformer. On that basis, not a bargain basement design, but good quality. I will check the valve lineup later.
Valve.....Ed, for a CA man you're talking like a Brit Icon_smile
People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.
Oh no, I've been found out!

Indeed. I grew up in Nottingham, England and have lived here in CA for about 11 years. Somewhere back at home, I have two radios, a Ferranti and a Marconi, both LW MW and SW sets with valves. But my first serious vintage radio work was with the 16X in the other thread. Oh the horror! A Limey let-loose on a good honest Philco Radio Icon_smile Well at least I'm now a US Citizen, and I hope I did a good job.

I will basically tinker with anything electronic, usually radio or HiFi, and end up obsessed with a project until it is right. I think that transcends international boundaries Icon_smile

Tube lineup of the Air Patrol's valves is:

6A8, 78, 75, 6J5, 42 (2 off), and 80

I'll try and get pictures together tomorrow
If it's Western Air Patrol, and it's pre war, it was probably manufactured by Gilfillan in Los Angeles.
Regards
Arran