Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Recapping a pair of EICO HF-22

I remember the old HF 20's and HF 22's, built a couple of 'em when I was 12. Yes, power transformers ran a bit warm, but so did most of 'em way back when. If you stuff 'em into a cabinet, scrounge a little "whisper" fan from an abandoned PC power supply; they'll run OK on the 6.3 v. winding with a 2 cent diode. Plenty of room underneath to put modern caps ,in series if need be to get voltage, but stuff the old ones you can. I remember the purple harmless gassy 6L6's "dancing" whilst the music played.

No I'm not stuffing them into cabinets. All natural cooling. Icon_smile

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Today I hooked up everything. Boy does it sound nice.
Just got Tom Petty's Greatest Hits CD in the mail, it really is juicy.
Bach also sounds wonderful.
It all goes through Klipsch Cornwall speakers. I bought the second pair, this is how this whole project started 1-1/2 years ago.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Good to hear this. I miss my old EICO HF20!

Also it is at this point with the C22 using Tesla tubes (which I have been told are not the best) and couple of not so good Fender tubes in a couple of positions (not phono, so they could affect the sound). I ordered a full set from Jim McShane, as follows;

12AX7LPS (Sovtek) matched pair. Supposed to be superquiet, for the phono input.
B759 Genalex re-issue (Sovtek) - for the rest of the positions.
ECC803S Tung-Sol reissue (Sovtek), 2pcs for V3 and V6 to see how they affect the sound. It is said that they sound "more energetic", I want to hear that for myself. If it is, I could use them for, say, Rock-n-Roll, and the B759 - for Jazz and Classical.
Mullard ECC83 - a pair of original good used tubes, for the same purpose.

Oh...and Jim threw in a couple of "placeholder" tubes (working but not so good) for the Phono input, to keep the good Phono tubes from being spent when I do not use the turntable. The schematic is such that it does require them in due to the filaments interconnect.

So, we will see if I could discern anything. The experience will cost me an extra $150 or so, but heck.....compared to what I have spent, it is not much. Plus the C22 does need new set of tubes anyway. I really hoe it will improve the sound.