Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Equivalent circuit for a split 2Meg pot

I'm restoring a 38-7, and the original 2Mohm volume control/loudness circuit  was replaced by a very cheap non-split pot that is falling apart. I'm embarrassed to be asking this, but I came across a thread somewhere in this forum about an equivalent circuit for the loudness control that could be constructed using two 1 Meg pots.  I've got the pots now, but of course in the meantime I can't find that link.  Can anyone direct me to the thread that showed a simple circuit for the loudness/volume control that was made from 2 coupled 1M pots? 

I'll post an update on how well it works if I can find it again.
Thanks!!

Don't know how that could work but I take it that you have a dual 1m pot on hand? If so it's important to determine the taper (needs to be audio taper). If you don't have one I'd get Mark Opatt a call more than likely he can fix you up with the proper control.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Audio taper!  Bummer, I got a pair of linears.  I am doing this project to learn about tube radios, and the most effective way to learn is to make mistakes, so I'm learning a lot.  I will get in touch with Mark.

In the meantime I went back and looked at my history to find the circuit.  It was described in the UK Vintage Radio site.  The link to the circuit is  here.  The circuit uses two coupled 1M pots, and provides a pretty nice Bass boost at low volume. And, of course, it uses log pots.  I'll pursue this and let you know how the 38-7 likes it.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/show...p?t=126515

Clif

i stole this quote from ARF , in someones sig if it helps you at all.

“Experience is what you gain when the results aren't what you were expecting”