Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 90 tube sheild

ok my philco 90 was working fine and all of a sudden the volume went low I have checked the caps and resistors but when I remove the main tube shield the volume starts to work again I am suspecting a coil any feed back is welcome
benny

Hi Benny,
I assume you've serviced this chassis. Would have a look at the tube's heaters to be sure they are lit when the volume is low.  Check the grounds at the block caps to be sure the bolts are snug. Connections at the tuning cap and grid caps on tube (resolder at tube).
Check the rf and osc coils for green dots, if found rewind the primary (small winding).

Happy Hunting!

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

OK if I wind up having to rewind the primary on the RF coil does it matter what direction I wind the coil

I was about to say RF coil open.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

To answer your question no it doesn't matter on the ant or rf amp coils. However the oscillator coil does.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

ok I found the trouble had a broken wire coming off of the second rf coil going to the tuning gang  I tapped on the wire and I got a pop dose any one know the value of the volume control
benny