Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Three GE Transistor Radios

Nice! Oh, I love the little blimp inside the radio! Sort of made me groan and laugh at the same time! Thursday I hope to stop in at the old TV shop in town and see if they still have any of their battery boxes and if any are the style I need. I'm on vacation from work right now and really don't want to see town unless I have to!

No matter where you go, there you are.

That blimp was a major repair, removed it from a VCR, customer said keep it... 

There are three over three AA cell battery boxes on amazon, even type for 6 AAA...

Once I tweaked the osc & antenna trimmers, that ratty 807B plays like a champ, apparently someone thought they were loose, as they'd been tightened down... I'm not convinced the pin speakers have the tonal quality of the A version voice coil type...

Something that may help you..

Remember the ugly P807B??

[Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/attachment.php?aid=15780]

It be sportin' a fresh grille repaint...

Amazing what a few minutes with a gold Sharpie can do... Actually looks better in person, flash shows a little inconsistency in the color. 

Hmm, I might have to try that on my white P807B. Finally got a couple of the AA cell battery holders and mounted them in the P807A and the white P807B. Sadly, it seems the speaker cone on my P807J is falling apart. Of course, it did spend who knows how long laying in a damp corner of an old garage, in the dirt on the floor!

I was going to spray paint grille as I believe that was the original process GE used.. Of course that would require careful masking.. The grille is cloth on cardboard, glued in place, little chance it would live through removal.. Truth is the Sharpie was a test to see how it'd look, my P807J has green area in it's grille.. Whatever process GE used the coating is subject to discoloration..

BTW, the grilles were same for for P807A(Black) & P808A(white), but there are apparently versions with the simulated cloth used on later versions... A, B & C used the brass nut to retain dial scale, beginning with E, tuner has a flat shaft so dial scale slides on... 

Here's my original P808E, was still in styrofoam clamshell packing when I bought it from ebay almost 20 years ago.. 

(03-30-2018, 10:51 PM)Jayce Wrote:   Sadly, it seems the speaker cone on my P807J is falling apart. Of course, it did spend who knows how long laying in a damp corner of an old garage, in the dirt on the floor!

I looked Saturday for possible speaker donor, no parts radios with a 3½(or any 3½" for that matter). Seems most small radios jump from 2½" to 3" then up to 4"... 

A PM speaker can be used but a output transformer must be added...

Meet "Pickle", olive green P-809C posing with freshly Sharpie'd P-807J.. 

I'm yet to see service literature for a C model, it's PCB is somewhat different than the B & E that are lumped together(at least in Sams)... 

Can spot the later models by lack of CD symbols & reversed dial scale numbering...

Attached Files Image(s)

That green one looks Army issue! Icon_biggrin I actually saw a white P-808J today at the antique mall, but with the high prices on things in the show cases, I passed on it.

(04-06-2018, 09:06 PM)Jayce Wrote:  That green one looks Army issue! Icon_biggrin I actually saw a white P-808J today at the antique mall, but with the high prices on things in the show cases, I passed on it.

Haup, 2, 3, 4!  Haup, 2, 3, 4!  Your in the Army now!! Fall down there Jayce, gimme a 100!!  Icon_eek  Salute

Last weekend I was pokin' around on the net looking at different versions of 809, I believe they were only produced as C & E(no D in any color)... Anyway I stumbled across this one for sale at the 8-Track Shack for $19.99...  Figured shipping would ruin it, but was only $10...  Plays fine, seen very little usage, second best of group I have... 

I'm lookin' for one more, that's not one of the colors I've pictured...

I downloaded the C chassis info and found this included... It covers all models through E, at bottom of parts list has part number for battery holder to use apparently optional penlite(AA) batteries... Guessing it would have had the large battery connection, in my 808E battery is listed as Eveready 266 etc...

BTW the transistor lineup is different in C, uses all PNP vs a mix of NPN & PNP in the earlier models...  Since that alters B+ arrangement & component location, a modified PCB was required...

Attached Files Image(s)

Well here she is, mommy to all the P80x series radios of this style, a P-755A... Like the others it's also listed as 1959 but from what I've been able to find, production no doubt began in latter part of 1958, probably as '59 model... The P-805A & P-806A came along very early in '59, maybe late '58.. Earliest I could verify is a P805A built 10th week of '59(roughly seven months prior my 806A)... There were no brothers or sisters, gray was only color offered... Yes in my lighting it appears a bit green... 

This should finish this thread, Jayce I hope you're not upset because I've trampled all over it... I figured it'd be better to share ideas and have most info on these in one thread...

Attached Files Image(s)

I'm not upset at all. It's neat to see how many variations of these little radios were made by GE over their lifespan. Also, I also found it interesting that GE offered a 'AA' battery adapter for these sets. Although we now have to change to the modern 9 volt connectors, this is what I basically did with two of my GE models. Icon_smile

I almost hate to post again but decided to try my hand at building a battery box with the large connector...

Since my 807, 808 & 809 all are in excellent or better couldn't bring myself to change the connector(s), came out OK-ish(should have taken construction picts but that thought came too late)... I used a piece of ¼" plywood to fasten two triple boxes, connectors screwed directly into wood using ¾" 2-56 machine screws, tightened without issue... Thinking if I do another I'll cut out the center and add nuts... Better yet would be use plastic or similar, I have a few pieces of laminate flooring that may work... 

I'd built a adapter from large to small connector but it proved too thick when mounted on box...

Attached Files Image(s)

Tom

Jayce, do both of your 807 have same grille?? Since I started looking I've seen some 807 & 808A with the perforated grill like the earlier radios but are gold...

Tom

The never dying thread... Who'd a thunk??

This P808B had a leaky output transistor, current was over 40ma just idling or double what these usually draw.. Mostly a parts radio, it's time for a new lease on life...

I present P-808-FRANKEN...

Had been looking for a purpose for the little LM386N audio amp, has a new home in this radio... With enlarged speaker and approx six or seven times more audio power, it's a thumper compared to stock... Best part is it only draws around 10-12ma at normal volume, at higher levels it does shoot up to 25-30ma...

New amp in lower left, I skipped the connectors for power and audio input, did use jack for speaker(raided a junk computer for connector)... Chassis playing when I shot pict... Volume level on board is set and forget, original control functions as normal... If fact with unit in case and back removed, there's nothing obvious going on... Well the sharp eyed may notice a few empty holes in PCB traces...

Attached Files Image(s)

Tom