Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-390 tuning cap.grommets

Greetings,
 I'm in the process of recapping and cleaning this beast and I'm having trouble with the string on the variable cap that runs the indicator needle. The string keeps running off the pulley. I think the problem is the grommets that hold the assembly in place. They are deteriorated to the point that the pulley is crooked and allowing the string to de-rail. Has  anyone had similar problems with a 42-390.  Did new grommets fix the problem?  I'm also having problems finding the grommets I've looked around and didn't see anything.
Are they available pre-made?
  Help locating these would sure be appreciated!!!
      OLDFARMER

Welcome to the Phorum!  I haven't worked on a 42-390 but I can see where deteriorated grommets might be a player in the problem.  I've had good luck at Ace Hardware finding grommets.  If they don't have exact replacements, they'll usually have something very close.

Give Ed at Renovated Radios a try.

http://www.renovatedradios.com/

Gregb

Hi OF and welcome to the Phorum,
I've have pretty good luck buying a few stock sizes from the hardware or bulk on epay and sectioning/stacking them to fit.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I usually replace those grommets. When the original natural rubber grommets break down, they can definitely cause the tuning condenser to sag and move around when you tune it, and other strange things, too.

I buy regular black rubber grommets from Ace. The inner hole is about 1/4 and the groove will fit about a 3/8 hole. Since the original washers are thicker with the groove not in the middle, I get a neoprene washer the same diameter as the grommet, about 1/16 thick. One grommet and one washer together are about the same dimensions as the original grommet.

John Honeycutt

I have had good luck finding grommets at Lowes