Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

do you know this radio?

Hello everyone,
A friend wanted me to ask the Philco Phorum members if they might know this radio--the year, & where would you be able to find the schematic for it. It says ?Franklin. Icon_confused: We believe it was manufactured in the 1920's. It has a door in front of the cabinet (one slides to the left, & the other slides to the right). Here are some photos of this radio.
We have searched all over the internet & cannot find one like it. Any help would be very much appreciated.
diyahnih

I'd put the chassis at about 1932. It's a pretty dinky set, and I'm sure, not the original chassis that was in that cabinet. The cabinet could well have been from about 1928.

I'll guess that the tube complement of the chassis is 24A oscillator-mixer, 24A I.F., and 24A detector. The power amp is pretty surely a 47, and the rectifier an 80. Could have been the product of many makers, I suppose, but its origin isn't very obvious. The socket for the I.F. is a 5 pin.

The cabinet doesn't ring a bell with me, but may be familiar to someone else. It just looks too expensive to have had a little clunker as this originally in it.

Here is another photo of this radio with the dial; which goes from 0 to 100. A board with a metal tag that goes to the front of the chasis states it is a Franklin radio. The cabinet is from the Red Line cabinet company. He says a couple of tubes are missing, but here are a few numbers he found on the tubes--NXNAT 245, 247, & 56. He is trying very hard to find the year of manufacture so he obtain the schematic to it. He wants very much to rebuild this radio & cabinet.

diyahnih

I notice that you didn't include a picture of the doors open, and panel of the set. The more I look at that chassis, the more I'm convinced that it wasn't the chassis that was initially in that cabinet. Red Lion made good cabinets for several eadio firms, and their quality was very good. Possibly, a look at the panel, inside the cabinet would give an idea just what you have there. A shot of the back of the cabinet would also bee a big help.

It looks like the chassis from a "midget" set of some sort, definitely not from any floor model that I know of. I think it's a mismatch, somebody simply fitted a table model chassis into an empty cabinet that they found, or vice versa. It also looks like there was a third control that they removed from the chassis, perhaps to get the holes in the front panel to line up.
Best Regards
Arran