Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Echo-Absorbing screen

Hi Guys -  I'm taking a shot at recreating the Philco Echo-Absorbing screen.  Would anyone happen to have one that can relay the hole size that's punched out, what material is attached on the inside and the label dimensions?

Thanks,
Paul

Attached Files Image(s)

Here's my recreation for a 16X, based off one of the few pictures I could find and scaled carefully:

I gauged the holes at 1 3/8", spaced 2" apart. I cut the piece from hardboard which was spray painted black.

I've not settled on the material yet. I thought furniture underlining might work, but looking at your picture, something like canvas might be a better match. Our radio had lost its back completely before we found it.

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

(04-03-2018, 11:29 AM)EdHolland Wrote:  I've not settled on the material yet. I thought furniture underlining might work, but looking at your picture, something like canvas might be a better match.

Black felt.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron - is felt the original factory selection? - it makes sense when considering acoustic properties.

I believe so. I have an original 17XS and it seems to me that the fabric behind the back panel is thick felt, or something very similar if there is such a thing.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you Ron - that is very helpful. Do you know how large the felt material is in comparison to the board on which it is mounted?

Regards

Ed

As in size or thickness?

It covers the entire board, on the inside of the board.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron - it was felt size in relation to the board to which I was referring. Covering the whole area you say - Thank you once again Icon_smile

The cloth behind the holes looks like cambric, which is what they used to use on the undersides of chairs and couches, what is on the other side of that I have no idea.
Regards
Arran

Thanks very much for the information.  

Paul

FYI. I just purchased a sheet of panelboard from a local automotive upholstery shop. It's used to make car door panels. It is almost exactly the same color, thickness, and type of material used on my 201X. Plus it is suppose to be waterproof.

(04-03-2018, 02:19 PM)Ron Ramirez Wrote:  
(04-03-2018, 11:29 AM)EdHolland Wrote:  I've not settled on the material yet. I thought furniture underlining might work, but looking at your picture, something like canvas might be a better match.

Black felt.

Ron,

When I pulled the broken back off of mine, the only material lightly glued to the back was almost like thin gauze, but it looks just like the pics. Could a felt material have been adhered to this at one time?

I used tight woven potato sack material. Cheap and once dyed it looks original.
That is quite a good looking back Ed.. Mine would look all kakied! Icon_crazy

Icon_smile

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6