Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

restoring 1934 mod 663 Weston volt-ohmmeter

BINGO!!....I found a suitable type substitute rotary- switch to fit in the vintage vom from my junkboxes.Didnt even remember I had one in backstock!!? Early alzheimers setting in already!!?? Lordy mercy!!!, I had to modify the vintage rotary switch abit, but its working great now. This old vintage Weston mod 633 ( ca 1933-34) bakelite case VOM lives on! "Spot on" in accuracy compared with both my older Simpson 260's, and various newer mod DMMs. Glad I restored it! I figure these orig Weston mod 663's items are about as scarce a Philco mod 90 these days?!! You can bet on that! NICE vintage "updated" VOM indeed!! Definately worth updating the orig fried wire-wound resistance coils if you guys ever run across one at hamfests etc!!! Those old Weston glass-meters were built like a tank in those days!! , and very accurate too!!, ...after subbing in new modern type "hand-matched" half-watt carbon type resistors to replace orig resistance-coils, this item has new life again afterall!! Sure is a nice addition to all my fully-restored vintage test gear!! You never know whats "fully-restorable" from leaky-roof barn-finds!!! Never throw anything out!! Vintage test equip items sometimes just need the same TLC as all the vintage radios we all restore, to bring the items back to life again!! I was amazed how "accurate" this old VOM was- and now "is" again, as originally produced only for all DC type test bench test appliques, and it was "free" of charge ( except for my time & new parts added)!!! I LOVE this hobby!! Icon_wink

Messages In This Thread
Re: restoring 1934 mod 663 Weston volt-ohmmeter - by Texasrocker - 04-27-2009, 02:04 AM