Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 14 LZX resfinish

This very uncommon Philco 14 LZX chairside is going thru a total refinish job along with its hard to find rare speaker cabinet. I always thought this model would never come my way but last Sargent auction there it was so I bid on it and won at a low price. Now the fun begins restoring this find radio set up. The walnut burl on the radio top area has to be replaced which shouldn't be a problem, the speaker cabinet top was also messed up and will be replaced with Straight walnut like it was from factory. I love the real wood inlay that is present on this radio speaker set up, sure beats that photo finish that was used a lot on other radios. I took the speaker apart and the radio cabinet for this job. It will look factory new when I'm done with it, stay tuned for updates and plenty of pictures. Next weekend I will apply the veneer and possibly finish the job sometime sunday evening. The chassis will go thru all electrical work and I do have it playing at this time , still need to do a tune up and alignment, I hope radio daze has the dial scale this one is broken, this dial is printed up side down from other model 90 chassis because the way you sit next to radio it had to be made that way. Maybe radio daze could just reverse the print before they stamp it, and this one has 1 short wave band also. I believe the speaker cabinet had a back cover at one time because of the screw holes that are present, does anybody have a picture of what its suppose to look like?

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

I was thinking about the dial being on backwards after I posted the thread, It should be on just any other model 90 chassis because the way you sit next to it is just like it would be standing on the floor or table. Unless I'm missing something her. Philco employee had a heavy night of drinking and came in the next morning and put it on the wrong way?  Icon_eek Icon_eek  Shadow meter works Icon_biggrin  Just cant see it thru the grime and gridge.

Attached Files Image(s)

Not familiar with this setup but the knobs look like they are above the dial when sitting at the radio.  That makes the radio upside down in the case.

The radio chassis is sitting on its back basically I'm thinking that shouldn't make them install the dial scale numbers upside down.  If your sitting in front of radio in a chair then you would  see the numbers  correctly. I'm going to order just a regular dial scale for a model 91 with 2 bands and be done with it. Or just glue the pieces I broke off back on and clean the thing. The part number is on the little broken piece, maybe Ron can make something out of this mystery.

Attached Files Image(s)

After all the dial is in there correctly, I have emailed the graphics dept. at Radio Daze and I'm sure they can make one for me and add that dial scale to there list of dials.  Icon_biggrin Icon_thumbup

Good idea. Your dial scale is supposed to be upside down as the dial was intended to be closer to the user than the knobs were. In other words, the unit was to be placed so that the center section flips open away from the user, and the dial and controls are upside down in relation to how they are placed in a cathedral or console.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hello Ron, the speaker cabinet looks like it had a back cover from the screw holes that are present around the frame, if so is there a design to the cover or just straight solid cover?

It isn't solid - it was fiberboard, I believe. Similar to matboard (the stuff used in picture framing). You can get flat black matboard at art supply stores.

Now some bad news: The original had several circular holes in it, with a felt type material glued to the back.

Phorum member Ed Holland just made a reproduction back for his 16X, you can read more about it - and see a few photos - in these threads:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=17592
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=18198
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread...572&page=4

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey Fred, I have that speaker with the original back on it. I could snap a picture of it if you like.

Gregb

Please do post a photo, Greg...I am curious as to whether my memory is correct, or not...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Here it is

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

That's you guys, I will make one to the looks of picture from Kirk, I had made one for my Big Philco 37-116 xx, also added the screen.

yup...that's what I thought. Thanks Kirk. Icon_thumbup

Fred, you might contact Ed Holland here on the Phorum. He could give you the exact size and details of the holes. It looks like all of the X model Philcos of that era used backs with the same type of holes and pattern of holes. I would not be surprised if Philco had made and used one template for all of the backs from that era.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sorry, Kirk beat me with the picture. I am recovering from knee replacement surgery and have been a little slow lately.

Gregb