Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Wood grain on model 70

Showing a second page, but when I click for it..........Nothing!

tractorforum.com *** I reserve the right to be wrong

I remember some knock down drag out arguments about this on the barking dog forum. One character on the ARF, no matter how many times it was explained to him, could not wrap his head around the idea that the arch was veneered with the grain running horizontal on some cabinets and vertically on others. He insisted that every set with the grain running vertically over the arch was reveneered, it was wrong, and claimed that everyone who thought otherwise was an idiot. Even after we linked him to numerous pictures off all original cabinets with the grain running both horizontally and vertically he still insisted that vertical was wrong. As someone once said, never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level and win because they have more experience.
Regards
Arran

Oh yes, I remember that one. I finally backed away and let it goIcon_crazy

Steve

M R Radios   C M Tubes

Quote:Okay Bill or anybody for that matter..... Which of these http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p...x&_sacat=0 in the Briwax lineup is going to be the best?
I have an old can of the "dark brown" that works pretty well.

Other "treatments" I've used with success over the years have been Howard's Restor-a-Finish or Old English (dark). Apply liberally, wipe off, let the set dry a day or two and follow up with some nice (wood) paste wax. I lean toward the Minwax brand because they have a version that is tinted brown. It doesn't really color the wood, but it isn't as noticeable if some traces are left behind in cracks and crevices.

Go ahead and order some Briwax, it doesn't get talked about as much as Howard's, but it deserves a place in your arsenal. One area where it really shines is on Tolex covered items. I had an extra carrying case for a Pilot 3" t.v. that had a pretty beat looking dark brown Tolex covering. One quick application of the Briwax colored in the small missing areas and made that case look almost new. Since the formula has changed I'd better order a can of the old stuff before it disappears like the original Brasso did.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"