Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help with pots

Hi,
I am repairing a philco 40-195. The volume control pot needs replacing. I see from the schematic it is a 2 meg-ohm. I have a 500k-ohm pot on hand that would fit.(Once I re-attach the "gear") Would this substitute work okay? What would any potential problems be? Thanks for any and all assistance. Any other recommendations while I'm at it? Icon_smile

It won't "hurt" anything electrically. It may effect the tonal quality by upsestting the resistance ratios in that circuit area. Probably most affected would be bass response at low to med volume levels.

You will also get room-splitting volume without much rotation of the control. In other words, the normal volume range will be crammed into the bottom end of the control rotation. 2Meg pots are easily obtained from many vendors like AES, Radio Daze, etc......
See the links on Ron's page here and also on my site.

Chuck

Hi Chuck,
Thanks! I never thought of Radio Daze or the others, I have been doing so much business with Mouser lately I forgot about the them. I have the 500K on hand but I would prefer to keep things the way Philco had them. Thank You for your answer and information! Have a good evening.

Philcophil, if you still need the 2 meg pot I have a spare (I was practicing adding a 1 meg center tap to them) with 1/4" round shaft, split serated shaft and half round shaft. They are "B" which is linear. PL