Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-116

Hello All,
I'm working on a 38-116 restoration.  I brought it home in decent shape.  Very dirty, some veneer delamination, water damage, but mostly complete.  I took out the chassis and have started working on that.  Have asked some questions to the forum with some very helpful tips.  Just recapping and testing resistors(replacing as needed).  Cleaning up and hopefully will work well.  Some of the wiring needs replacing too.  A nice project.  The cabinet has already been stripped and re-glued.  Sanded it down and sprayed on a first coat of lacquer.  Its starting to look nice.  Thanks everyone for your help and tips.  I'll be back for more soon Icon_smile

Sorry I don't know how to orient the pics better

Stand on your head, or lay on your side, and the camera will be orientated right. :p

Looking good! How bad was the de-lamination?

If you have your pics in Windows, just use the viewer and rotate - it is automatically saved in the rotated way you choose.

Then post it here.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The de-lamination was not too bad, bottom left hand side, no chips. Gotta put on the replacement decals and then add a couple more coats of lacquer. The grain is great, really happy with the way it's turning out. I'll post some more pics once I finish the cabinet. Then back to the chassis. I'll figure out the pictures Icon_smile

I had done some work to the chassis last week.  got one of the hard/impossible to reach caps done, one more to go.  Chassis is cleaned up.  Still deciding what to do about the rust and final finish.  It doesn't look too bad right now.  May just oil it up to protect the metal and call it a day.

Dang that bugger has a lot of little pieces!!!!!!

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yeah...the 1937-38 chassis aren't the easiest to work on...

(04-17-2018, 10:02 PM)Brad Winder Wrote:  Yeah...the 1937-38 chassis aren't the easiest to work on...

Very true, but if you break it down and take your time, it’s not too bad. I had my sub chassis out for a week. I would do a bit and then take a break. Too easy to break something.

As for the rust, I had that issue too, everywhere, Since I had it apart, I decided to paint it. A good cleaning, rust neutralizer, and paint/primer, and it looked good. Rustoleum metallic Satin Nickle was my choice. Obviously I was not planning on ever taking it apart again.

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”