Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 87 Decorative carvings

I found my Model 87 with the cabinet in pretty good condition, except for the two decorative carvings above and to the left and right of the tuner window.
One was broken and the other missing.  I'm looking to either obtain some, new or used.  Barring that, I think if I could get maybe a clay impression of them on another cabinet, I might be able to make some.  So I'm looking for options.  Any help would be appreciated.

I try to leave a good impression!!

Attached Files Image(s)

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Keep trying Terry Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Thanks for the great work Terry.  I stand a chance of getting some carvings on the 87 where they belong.  

Hope to catch you at Kutztown.

Bob

[Image: http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah35...o5mtzk.jpg]
Got some made with pretty good results.  Used Bondo Wood Filler in the clay impressions.  Not too shabby.

They look great!

Very Nice work,,,,GGreat thinkings

[Image: http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah35...0t5hdz.jpg]

Well, got the carvings molded and lacquered, fixed some missing wood in the grille, and put in new grille cloth.  Thanks again Terry for making the impressions.  I'm going to make a spare pair and keep the clay molds, just in case.  Only had one small veneer patch on one side to do.  In the homestretch with the chassis.  Will need to make a new chassis cover for the bottom,  apparently didnt survive two house moves.  Things are lookin up!

The cabinet looks great - hard to believe those are clay!

+1 looks great!!
I think I just put you a business now you are the keeper and maker of trim parts. [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...wisted.gif]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

That cabinet looks awesome, the moldings are excellent and the carpet achieves an harmonious ambience with the receiver. VERY nice! Icon_thumbup How are the repros attached as compared to the originals? were they pegged, screwed or glued?

Looking good!
Icon_clap

Will still need a casting expert Terry, you aint off the hook yet.

Managed to use Gorilla wood glue to attach them.  Seems to work very well. 

I had a bad continuous crackling in the audio.  Got a new (kinda), well new to me, audio transformer from Gary at Play Things of the Past.  Cured the problem.  Listening to the NY - Baltimore game now.  Seems to be ok.  I'm resisting the urge to do the neutrodyne alignment since its working.  

Will give the cabinet a once over with some Briwax. 

I'm pretty happy with it. 

Thanks for all the feed back everyone.

Bob