Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Transporting a Philco 37-690

If I found one, I'd get rid of something else - probably a Zenith - No, not that Zenith.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

Hello everyone, I'll probably be selling my Philco 38-1 & 41-285 radios to make room for it and possibly my GE M-125 (which is about as big as the 37-690) radio then move my 37-116 and 37-690 after I restore it into my radio room.  I have the caps and rubber chassis grommets ordered so when they come in I will start working on it.   Ken

Choices, choices.....seeing a 4-pound T-bone steak and then trying to devour it. And after that looking at a "Chocolate stampede" desert.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Nooooooo! Don't sell anything! Build on to your house first...

On my 37-690 the metal chassis bottom for the receiver part is missing. I know it will be impossible to find one but is there a way to fabricate one out of something else? Only thing I have is a spare one to a 37-650 but it is too small. I wish I could move some of my other radios downstairs but I have a indoor cat and she will use my radios as scratching posts and I keep the downstairs door closed at all times so the cat doesn't come upstairs.    Ken

there is no metal bottom on 690 as I understand.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

My 37-690 has a metal panel on the bottom of the tuner chassis; none on the power supply chassis.

If you want to make one from sheet metal, I'd be happy to send you a picture of it, or scan the whole panel, assuming I could find someone with a commercial flatbed scanner...

Strange. 38-690 does not use bottom. At least according to what Ron told me. I thought they being very similar, 37-690 wasn't using it either. In any case, does't seem to do anything.

The 38-690 tuner sits on a solid wood shelf so there is no real reason for it to have a metal cover. It's been a while since I owned a 37-690 but looking at photos of the set Ken purchased, it looks like the tuner is supported by two thin pieces of wood, front and back, with the center portion of the tuner's underbelly exposed. This would therefore make sense that it would likely have had a cover originally. It was probably lost over the decades by some sloppy repairman.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

But electrically, meaning - protecting the circuitry from EMI, as the circuitry is very comparable to 38-690, it probably doesn't do much?

Probably not much. I think the reason for the bottom cover was more of a safety factor - to keep prying fingers out of the circuitry.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yep. Likely that. Although 37-116 rests on a solid piece of wood and still has it. Maybe they tried it for EMI and found out it doesn't do anything, so when year 38 came they just ditched it?

Not sure why someone left the bottom plate off as the underside of the receiver chassis is untouched. I don't have the skills to make a bottom plate for it out of sheet metal so I thought about maybe using the spare 37-650 chassis bottom shield plate I have and attach it under the tuner support shelves to protect the underside of the chassis. The radio is in excellent condition other than the chassis shield plate missing.  Ken

I got rid of a 37-675 to get a 37-690. Later, I got rid of a 37-116 to get a 201.

But for one brief period, I had all three.

Hi Brad, if you can take a picture of the bottom plate of your 37-690 I would appreciate it--if the plate can be scanned it would be perfect as a template to drill the holes in an aluminum plate. I have been looking on eBay for aluminum plate that could be used for the bottom of my receiver chassis and found some that might work. Only issue would be drilling the holes for ventilation and for trimmer capacitor access. I saw some aluminum sheets that are perforated that may work also. My rubber parts from renovated radios arrived yesterday and now waiting for my caps and I will be all set to begin to bring my 37-690 back to life.  Ken