Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 41-608 cabinet refinish

Very common set I believe and we have a customer that's has to have it lookin new again and playing like new again in including the turntable, that original turntable will not be used , its to far gone. The philco will have a updated unit rebuilt and installed. Cabinet will have veneer fixed and new photo finished applied, looks like zebra wood, stay tuned for progress on this set. This radio should look new once completed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Fred,

When you're removing the old finish, do you use stripper to get off the majority of the finish then sand the rest?

I know this cabinet will look great when you're done with it. Looking forward to more pictures of the work you're doing on this one. Even if it's a common, mid-level radio, at least it's going to live on instead of becoming a wine bar or some other shabby chic crap project.

Yes I use clean strip ( Thick jelly type) from home depot, after all the finish is removed I wipe it down with lacquer thinner. Then I will proceed to sand cabinet with 240 grit using a dual action sander and by hand. Hope that helps you any.

Thanks a lot, that was the information I was looking for. I got the finish stripped off my cabinet today according to your input, and it's pretty much ready for finishing. Just need to do the veneer work now...

Just keep in mind that Klean Strip contains methylene chloride, a solvent that is on the "probable" carcinogen list, so you should use chemical resistant gloves, safety glasses and work outdoors to keep inhalation as low as possible. There are also acute toxicity issues if exposure levels are too high.
Here's the Safety Data Sheet for it: https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma...669423.pdf

You don't need to be afraid of it, just be smart about using it.

Stripped , sanded , grain filled and sanded again , stained with toned areas that I like much better than a plain Jane cabinet. I have sealed everything in three coats of sealer and then that will be sanded smooth being very careful not to burn thru. I am waiting on the zebra wood photo finish vinyl and then will apply that showing how I'm doing the photo finish to you all. This radio sure will look nice when completed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Few more pictures

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks good! You haven't put on the clear yet, right?

Not yet, the sealer must be sanded, that's what on the cabinet right now in the photos, clear coating comes last.

looking great Icon_clap Icon_clap

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Jealous....
I have 5 to do, Icon_cry
I need an assistant...

Icon_lol

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

If you feed yourself after midnight and sprinkle some water......you know what happens next Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(05-10-2018, 08:04 AM)morzh Wrote:  If you feed yourself after midnight and sprinkle some water......you know what happens next Icon_lol

I gain weight...?  Icon_evil

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Icon_lol        seriously stay on subject please

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Fred,

I was glad to see that most of the main cabinet did not have the photo finish. At least the grille bars can be done separately if they are bad. The little bit by the dial is not to bad by the looks of it.

Looks great already Icon_thumbup

Tony

“People may not remember how fast you did a job, but they will remember how well you did it”