Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

insulator mounting feet DIY

in some cases we have insulator feet that separates a interior chassis from an exterior chassis.

in many cases this means the outside case (exterior chassis) is floating and not in any way tied to the grounding or electrical system.

sometimes the mounts fail due to age.

in my case, this is an AA5 Hallicrafters but still applicable incase you want to mend some mounts on a radio your not really all that concerned with keeping things OEM looking.

here you see the feet on a Hallicrafters S38-d AA5.

what you do is break away the old crusty feet which used to be rubber once upon a time but has long since dried out.

you find old spark plug wire boots (the end that goes on the spark plug), and you cut off the nose or end of the spark plug boot.
usually i save back a few of these spark plug wire boots because you just never know what you might find them useful for one day.

you keep the brass insert that was in your old mounts.
you cut off the end of the spark plug boot about 3/4''.  in the middle of your nubbin you have, you razor knife in a few cuts so you can insert the new rubber into the chassis to serving as "slots.
you stuff in your old brass insert and screw then tighten down.  this sort of presses the brass down into the rubber "sinking it" in so to speak.

you have to sorta work at it to get the brass settled at the right depth then your good.

just thought i would share, i am not a purist with radios, but i try very hard to keep things looking close enough.

i could have ordered feet, but why bother when i can repurpose other stuff and have it fixed in an hour vs waiting a few days for parts to come in..

hope this helps.

Attached Files Image(s)

Good tip, thank you for sharing it!