Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1934 Philco 60B Alignment Problem

At work, I've been fiddling with this Philco 60B, second version, this week. It plays loud and clear and sometimes too loudly on the strong stations but it's main problem is that I can't align the stations to the dial. The spread is too wide for the dial by about 100khz or so. I run out of trim on the trimmer caps to get the frequencies within the dial. I'm using John Rider's "Aligning Philco Receivers", page 76 as reference. The sensitivity of the AM broadcast appears to be good. I can go down to 5uV and still hear the 400hz tone from the HP Rf generator. The Police/Shortwave band is another story. I have to turn the signal up into the hundreds of mV's (millivolts) to hear the tone. I've inspected and checked the antenna transformer it looks good and has no open circuit. I replaced the 100k resistor that is across the primary that was out of spec but no improvement. What could cause the wide alignment issue? Is the lack of sensitivity on SW affecting the alignment?

On another question about this radio, there is a inductor coil riveted to trimmer #4, I think. It looks like its connected across this capacitor trimmer. The coil was covered with a white crust that was probably from a leaking wet capacitor that is above it. I can't seem to find this thing on the schematic. Is there a callout on the schematic?

I'm learning a lot from all of you on this phorum, thanks.

Messages In This Thread
1934 Philco 60B Alignment Problem - by whirligig - 04-26-2018, 10:02 PM
RE: 1934 Philco 60B Alignment Problem - by morzh - 04-30-2018, 03:12 PM
RE: 1934 Philco 60B Alignment Problem - by morzh - 05-01-2018, 10:48 AM
RE: 1934 Philco 60B Alignment Problem - by Arran - 05-03-2018, 11:24 PM