Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Zenith MT 1990 Stereo Console
Tongue 

This is the result of a want ad I put up on Craigslist. I wanted a Zenith to go along with my big RCA, solid state console stereo and this is the result barely 24 hours after putting the ad up! Yep, I've gone off the rails on the crazy train again! Icon_lol  Not only has this console come from the original family that owned it since new, it is the tube/transistorized hybrid model that I have always thought were odd pieces. It does play, but the volume on FM is low. According to the eye tube it's pulling in the stations well, but just low volume. There are two possible issues that could be causing this. One, the 6JK8 and 6EA8 tubes are both weak and I don't have any good spares right now. Also, in spite of multiple cleanings, the two FM selections are still very scratchy and dirty. Either way, I plan on getting this reworked over in the future. I guess the changer is belt driven and I can tell it is slipping some. Still, it cycles fine once up to speed and even that folding 45 spindle works good.

At five foot, seven inches, this is the biggest stereo console I will ever own. Oddly, I can't find any information on this model.

No matter where you go, there you are.

Like the legs! Icon_thumbup Obviously that was produced around the end of the Mid Century Modern era, mid-late 1960s.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I grew up with one of those. My mother loved it and used crank it up on weekends cleaning the house. When they moved she gave it the movers.

Yes, the angled legs were the signature of 60s (in my country - also 70s, we lagged by some 5-190 years).

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Thanks, everyone! I was trying to find one with the louvered doors over the speakers, but once the lady texted me the picture of this unit, I figured it was close enough! Icon_biggrin If all goes right, this console will be going up to my buddy's shop for repairs on Saturday. He has the space, parts, and tools needed that I don't have to redo this unit. Also, I'd rather have it fully redone BEFORE heaving it up to the trailer where it will live for the foreseeable future. Still needs two tubes (possibly a third as one tube wasn't on the list for my checker).
What is odd, I don't EVER recall seeing stereos like this around my town when I was a kid. Yes, people had 60's and 70's stereo consoles, several serving as TV stands in the 80's, but they were always the regular floor consoles. It hasn't really been until recent years that I even was aware of this style. I guess getting this console and accepting the Silvertone is making up for all the stereo consoles I refused over the past 20 years. Could have had several for free, but I doomed them to the dump, even fully working ones. With 8 speakers, this should be a good sounding unit!

Ok, this Zenith is slowly turning into a nightmare. So far they've had to replace two output transistors that weren't working, figure out five electrolytic cans on the amp, and the FM wasn't working again. It now has Mono FM, but it appears someone has been into the tuning chassis before and performed a hack job on it. I thought something was missing from the chassis before I took this stereo up to be worked on and my fears were confirmed. Someone hacked out the multiplex in it along with the transistor and socket that ran the multiplex. The tip off was the newer capacitors they found under the chassis once the bottom shield was off. I don't think Zenith used the 'orange drop' caps. All my vintage Zenith stuff, even the 70's TVs have the brown mylar caps. Oh, on top of these issues the unit now refuses to play the left channel on the phonograph and they can't get the phonograph apart! The rubber grommets the upper turntable rides on have deteriorated and 'glued' everything together! (They checked the cartridge and it is fine.) Looks like the Silvertone might be the best part of this deal. It has some issues, but all appear to be easily corrected!