Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Silvertone 3071 Colonial stereo

Ok, here is the freebie stereo console I got when I bought the Zenith. This is a full, solid state unit with everything on one chassis. It is from either 1968 or 1969 and is a mid-range model from what I could find out. This was the most dead of the two consoles when I brought it home, but now is the most functioning of the two. I just wish it had dial lights! I didn't see a spot for any when I had the back off! Also, it does have a couple quirks due to the controls being so filthy when I brought it home. Sometimes the left speakers will cut out. There are two fixes for that, wiggling the volume control or just thumping the cabinet with my hand. (Actually, it's doing that less all the time.) The other issue is it seems to only like the plug in the outlet one way. Plug it in wrong and it will eventually start to do a feedback to itself. Oh, all the speakers were also loose when I got this thing and one MIGHT have a bit of a buzz once in a while. Might not be hurt, could actually have some crap down in the speaker. I originally didn't even want this thing, but even my family urged me to get it since it was a free offer. Maybe I'll keep this beast after all and get it freshened up after the Zenith is done.

Not the best picture, was taken last minute.

A look inside. This stereo claims 150 watts total output, but supposedly only draws 40 watts. Although, that WOULD make it the cheapest stereo console for me to run. Hmmmm... Icon_think  I think I am liking this thing even more and I will check those speakers... Icon_smile

No matter where you go, there you are.

From the size of it I can't see 150W, but then 40W draw could be just quiescent state draw, with it increasing as the output grows.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

The chassis has a transformer, but it's a fairly small one. It does seem to push out a lot of sound, but definitely not a thumper like the RCA console. A couple sites warned about these having red, cardboard tube electrolytics that go bad. I didn't see any on mine. Mine appears to have more modern looking, blue electrolytic caps on the chassis.

I serviced dozens of those in the '70s...

Most common problem was the cardboard amp to speaker coupling caps, no/weak sound if they are open... Ones that usually failed were orangish-yellow, large, approx size of C batteries but longer... Likely already replaced...

I'm thinking of models with seperate amp chassis, if it's all one unit, above probably doesn't apply...

Tom

The chassis in mine is all one unit. A smallish chassis roughly 'L' shaped with a small transformer hanging upside-down from the bottom. Like I said, I didn't see any of the cardboard caps other sites warned about. Either they changed something during the model run, these models didn't have those, or it was rebuilt sometime in the past.

Bad electrolytic caps or not they are cheap to replace, Mouser is a good source of them if they are radial lead caps.
Regards
Arran

This console has grown on me, so it will be getting recapped after the Zenith is done. Icon_smile

Since I was feeling a bit bummed about the Zenith and it was a nice evening, I dragged the Silvertone out onto the little building porch so I could tinker on it. It kept getting either a back-feed over overload and I found out the issue really quick. The stupid band switch again! Pressing down on the knob with my thumb would straighten the stereo out really quick. So, lacking contact cleaner, I decided to try WD-40 on this sucker! Actually, I found two of the bottom contacts on the switch had green spots on the and the WD-40 did seem to clean those up. Unfortunately, the upper part of the band switch is in a sort of semi-sealed unit that is hard to get any cleaner into. It's still far better than it was though. Though the transformer is kinda small, it really doesn't get very warm when being played. It does warm up of course, but it seems to be well within the limits for its size and what it is trying to do. So.. here are some pictures I took while I had it out. Once I got the back replaced on it, I turned the stereo around and let it blast out into the parking lot for a while while I was outside. Other than the couple usual fusses with the band switch cutting out a speaker, it played even better this time around. Seems the U-shaped chassis is basically modules bolted together with a power supply board hanging off the bottom.