Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

1966 Philco Transistor Console

I'm brand new to the Philco and vintage radio world.  I recently acquired this 1966 Philco console and am in need of guidance. 

I know it's a 1966 because I saw an identical one for sale on ebay. 
I know it's a trans because there are no tubes.

That's all I know.  THhere are two wires hanging down in the back that I don't know where they go.  I'd like to plug them in to the proper place.  Everything seems to work correctly, except the phono is a little slow.  I assume it needs a new belt.

I can supply higher res pics if needed

thanks,
Jack

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

Can't tell you what that wire goes to, I've not worked on anything that new but someone here will likely be able to help. It looks a bit like the old 300 ohm twin lead TV antenna wire to me.

Hi Jack and welcome,
+1 Bob
Looks like twin lead to me too. With that being said it probably connected a pair of screw terminals on the missing back cover. Would be for connecting an antenna for the FM band.

GL

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I think that it may be a bit newer then 1966, it's probably closer to 1970. My parents used to have a similar unit that was re-branded as a Sears Silvertone and the layout was very similar to that, it had a Spanish style cabinet though, and was around 1972 vintage. I think that someone posted an almost identical one to the one my parents had in another thread, except it had the Philco name on it, here it is:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=10988

Here is another that ended up in France somehow, maybe imported by a private party, unlike the unit my parents had it has oval speakers, the chassis looks a bit different then yours:

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=17664

Regards
Arran

The wires have female spade connectors, so I don't think they're for an antenna. There is a box on the back for "Tape out" with some RCA connectors. It seems to be a tight fit, but I'll give it a looksie!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1966-Philco-ste...SwyTZUX6oS

This is the identical one for sale. The price seems a BIT steep!

Yes, the fleabay one is high by about 20 fold, minimum, those things are hard to give away where I am, let alone sell for any amount of money, you would think that they could get a new needle for it at least? I think that you may be closer on the date then I was, now that I can see the control panel, the last time I saw one with similar chrome finished knobs it was sitting with a free sign on it next to the road, but it was shorter in length, and the cabinet was more of a "modern" style.
Regards
Arran

Mine was free so i don't mind having a project!

Pictures of stampings on speakers and other components will give a idea when parts were manufactured...

Without concrete evidence, I rarely believe anything stated on ebay pertaining to vintage electronics...

Tom

Agreed.

Upon further investigation, I believe the mystery wires are for an external FM antenna!

Now I'm on to the belt issue....