Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

model id?

Can someone tell me what the model of this cabinet is?

[attachment=16412]

I think its a 40-180XF, but not sure.

Philco 41-295X 4 band radio.
I'm 67 years old, in north Idaho.

I think you're right.

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1940a/#Model_40-180XF

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, looking through the gallery, that's the one that it looked like. I don't have it yet, but I may get it tomorrow night. It looks like the radio I had back in 1976, that was left at my sisters house, and she sold it. This one came from the same town. I will find out tomorrow night when I go look at it. He only wants $75 for it. Need a radio, it's missing.
Michael

In my opinion $75 is too much for just a cabinet, in that condition. For $75 it should be more or less complete with the chassis and speaker in it, 40-180s are a very common model that turn up on fleabay with great regularity, and not for very much either. I wouldn't give the guy more then about $20 for that cabinet, if I already had the rest of the parts and even wanted it, by the time you add up the cost of getting the chassis, speaker, knobs, pushbuttons, and antenna you would be into it for $200 or more before you even get around to the restoration part.
Regards
Arran

I have to agree with Arran on the price...but...if you really really like it and want it, and you think it's reasonable, then I say go for it by all means. Icon_thumbup

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I agree with it being a little pricey.  I picked up a similar console, a 41-280, in decent shape for $40.00 complete.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

They're quite common where I am. They show up often enough that I could get a complete unit for $50 to $100. Idaho is a different market and not ripe for collecting.

(05-23-2018, 11:28 AM)Kestas Wrote:  They're quite common where I am.  They show up often enough that I could get a complete unit for $50 to $100.  Idaho is a different market and not ripe for collecting.

The show up around here every once in a while, but finding them complete is a different story. I was lucky to find the 41-295 complete. and in fair condition.
this 40-180 has a couple chips  in the veneer, but other than that its in pretty good shape.
Michael

It's your choice of course, but I really think that you are letting your money burn a hole in your pocket over this. I would either see if he would come down in price massively or walk away, and wait for another to turn up, or see about getting one shipped from elsewhere that might be more complete and in better shape. We are now entering the season where the antique radio swap meets are starting so it may be worth traveling to one or more, and if a 40-180 can't be found there you could arrange to buy one from another collector and meet him a meet. Honestly finding one is like waiting for the bus, I walked away from the Canadian version of a 41-280 once because it needed too much replaced, and the cabinet still needed some work, and whilst I could have talked him down from the $80 he wanted I really had no desire to put that much effort, nor money, into a fairly common console model.
Regards
Arran

(05-25-2018, 02:11 AM)Arran Wrote:  It's your choice of course, but I really think that you are letting your money burn a hole in your pocket over this. I would either see if he would come down in price massively or walk away, and wait for another to turn up, or see about getting one shipped from elsewhere that might be more complete and in better shape. We are now entering the season where the antique radio swap meets are starting so it may be worth traveling to one or more, and if a 40-180 can't be found there you could arrange to buy one from another collector and meet him a meet. Honestly finding one is like waiting for the bus, I walked away from the Canadian version of a 41-280 once because it needed too much replaced, and the cabinet still needed some work, and whilst I could have talked him down from the $80 he wanted I really had no desire to put that much effort, nor money, into a fairly common console model.
Regards
Arran

Thanks Arran, but I already bought the cabinet. Ron has a radio for it, and found the speaker too. I don't know where your at, but around here you don't see too many old radios. I bought this one because I beleave its one that use to be mine. I'm half way done with my 41-295, and might sell it, then restore the 40-180 and keep it, we'll see.
Michael