Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Photo Finish on a 40-180

I have a Philco 40-180 that my parents bought new prior to WW II. They heard about the bombing of Pearl Harbor on this radio. I grew up listening to this radio in the late 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s. It developed my interest in radios. The radio quit working in the mid 70’s, until I got it working again in about 2004. 
The photo finish on either side of the speaker has pretty much all fallen off and is lost. Very little remains. My question is: what type of wood grain was used and should I use real veneer, if I can find it, or printed paper?

Thanks for any ideas.

(05-25-2018, 08:01 AM)Mjeansonne Wrote:  I have a Philco 40-180 that my parents bought new prior to WW II. They heard about the bombing of Pearl Harbor on this radio. I grew up listening to this radio in the late 50’s, 60’s and early 70’s. It developed my interest in radios. The radio quit working in the mid 70’s, until I got it working again in about 2004. 
The photo finish on either side of the speaker has pretty much all fallen off and is lost. Very little remains. My question is: what type of wood grain was used and should I use real veneer, if I can find it, or printed paper?

Thanks for any ideas.

WELCOMETO THE PHORUM mJEANSONNE!
i HAVE A 40-180, didn't think it was made with a photo finish.

http://philcoradio.com/gallery2/1940a/#Model_40-180XF

Philco 41-295X 4 band radio.
I'm 67 years old, in north Idaho.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave

That set is not on our list of sets that used photofinish. If it was photofinish then you could replace with real veneer or use the paper approach.. If it was veneer, then it may be that after you strip off the lacquer layers, the pattern will be more visible. Post a photo of what yours looks like.

Sorry, I'm so new I don't know how to post a picture on the forum.  Suffice it to say that my radio is missing most, if not all of the veneer on either side of the speaker grill.  Not sure what type of wood veneer it is, could be Zebrawood?  If anyone knows what type of wood veneer was used and what color stain, that would be helpful.

AFter all these years, didn't know the Philco Phorum existed!!  So glad to have found it!!

Take a piece of the veneer, which is falling off anyhow, and compare it to the gallery on the Constantines web site, you will have to either use the unfinished side or strip the finish off the front side, to compare it properly. I think that you may be right about it being Zebrano/Zebra wood, but it could also be quarter sawn French walnut veneer cut with it's grain on the diagonal, it's hard to tell with that light walnut coloured finish they used over everything.
Regards
Arran