Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Farnsworth GK-669 . What is this device ?

Hi to all . I have the opportunity to buy a radio console with Farnsworth GK-669 record players inexpensively. Someone knows what this company is and what is this device . Here is a photo ...

Philo Farnsworth was an inventor who is best known for inventing television.  In 1938 he later founded the Farnsworth Radio and Television Company in Ft. Wayne, Indiana:

https://www.biography.com/people/philo-t...orth-40273

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philo_Farnsworth

It is very interesting that one of his radios made it to your country.  What you have is a radio and record player combination that looks to be in very nice condition and is not very common.  If you have space for it you should buy it if it is not very expensive,

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Thank you, Elliot. I have to find a free space for this rare device
  He was brought from Germany and offered me by my longtime friend ... He wants $ 200 worth of expenses for the road. I think that he is worth it.

Here comes my device ... I will share my impressions and information about it. To my surprise, there was even an old passport and a maintenance manual. From him I learned a lot of useful information. This unit has a universal power supply for networks from 105 volts to 250 volts AC voltage. Also there are modifications for power supply from the networks at 50 and 60 Hz. It is unequivocal that the company made them for export all over the world.

Still in a few words ..
1) Model 39 model year, but released in the 38th. There were similar console models and desktop models, with and without a player.
2) 5 ranges. Broadcasting and 4 shortwave ones with overlap from 3MHz to 23MHz, that is, from 13 to 100 meters. KV-1 is 3mHz ... 8MHz (34 ... 100 meters), KV-2 8 ... 11 MHz (27. .33 meters), KV-3 - 11MGts..13MHz (22..27 meters), KV-4 - 13MHz-23 MHz (13-22 meters).
3) Six lamps, all octal. 6SA7, 6J5, 6SK7, 6SQ7, 6V6-GT, 6X5. . Such a high frequency of confident reception on HF (23 MHz) became possible thanks to a converter on two lamps with a separate heterodyne at 6J5. The optical fine adjustment indicator is absent.
4) To my great surprise in the record compartment I found a passport (with a diagram), a description and warranty cards for the console and a turntable with a gramophone changer. Today, I carefully read and understood that the gramophone is no longer a one-speed one by 78 turns, but a later one, three-speed one. A cartridge with a corrunda rather than a metal needle is rather a plus than a minus, you can listen to your old records without much worry. I think that for this purpose it was changed somewhere in the early 50's. She also has a passport and instructions.
5) The speaker is no longer with magnetization, but with a permanent magnet, but of a decent size - 30 centimeters. A very large bass, even from such a low-power amplifier - everything in the radio and even the room resonated, I had to secure everything and tighten it.

I finished the repair of the radio chassis and the adjustment of the mechanism of the gramophone record player.
I took a short video with a demonstration of the work of the programmer with a gramophone changer.

Artist - Fausto Papetti, alto saxophone, jazz composition Washington square.

[Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTQmFHCjLts]