Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Delco/RCA same chassis

A while back I recapped and cleaned up an RCA 28X and now I've opened up a Delco (United Motors) R-1214 and I see the exact same chassis #RC1002 obviously the same manufacturer. Can you give me some background? I know that RCA held a lot of patents, but who actually assembled these chassis?

Thanks for some insight,
Alan

I have read that Delco was headquartered in Detroit in the GM Building, however manufacturing was done at a plant in Kokomo IN. Some sets were made by other makers, RCA one of them. I have a Delco 1212 and it has an internal antenna eerily similar to an RCA 35X, also uses the same wooden bumpers between antenna and chassis, and has the same knobs as some of my RCA's. So that may be your answer. RCA.

My 1212 is a fine player like most of my other 6 tube RCA sets. Maybe have you tried comparing schematics to a similar RCA from that model year or so?

Good luck,

Paul

Tubetalk1

Here in Canada, Philco produced sets sold under the Delco name. They are found with different styles of cabinet, not shared with any Philcos. And any that I have run across are all 32 volt windcharger sets.

RCA probably built the chassis in this case, however that was not unique as RCA also built some of the pre war U.S Westinghouse sets. I've never owned a house set under the Delco name, only car radios, and I am pretty certain that the car radios were built by Delco, or at least G.M themselves. I did see at least one Delco radio that a guy had for sale and it did have 1940s era RCA style round knobs, I don't remember if it was a U.S model or not, and quite frankly it was not of interest to me other then the brand name, which was not enough for it to overcome the rather dull and uninspired wooden cabinet it was housed in. It would seem that the more interesting looking Delcos came in Bakelite cabinets from what I have seen in books and in online photo galleries, but as to whom made the chassis I can't say as they rarely show pictures of the inside of any set.
Regards
Arran

How is the 28X working out for you with the elliptical speaker? I have a 28X5 it is a good sounding set.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Thanks for the replies. That red painted speaker was the first thing in common between the two chassis that I recognized. With the push-pull and that speaker these are some of the best sounding, powerful table tops I have. Everything is built well and is uncrowded making recapping easy. These are great radios. Although one has pushbuttons and I give up on those, they're a pain in the rear.

Thanks all.
Alan

I am fairly certain you are correct, both RCA's.

Good luck and enjoy them. Icon_smile

Paul

Tubetalk1