Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I'll Bet You Noticed - I Sure Have

Sometimes "remastered" means "butchered".  A quality remaster can be a delight. 

I remember when CD's came about. There was a huge rush to get everything on CD. the results were sometimes horrifying.

(06-10-2018, 03:14 PM)Phlogiston Wrote:  Maybe a little, but a person w/o a good system is not going to understand the comments made here.

I don't have a Sansui 9090DB...but nevertheless, I dig.

Current home office system: The Fisher 600-T (their first transistorized receiver), connected to Bozak E-300/B-302As.

Current living room system: Sherwood S-7900A, Bozak Urbans.

At the workbench: Fisher 432, Sansui SP-1500.

And, yes, I use the "loudness" switch because I almost always listen at low levels and prefer the added bass that the loudness switch provides at those low listening levels.

I run my bass and treble controls at "flat" or "0" because I have found with good speakers, one does not need to crank up the bass or treble - flat is perfect. Icon_thumbup

Once I get around to it, I need to replace a 12AX7 tube socket in my Fisher TA-600 and then that will likely become my home office receiver, even though the FM is Living Mono (no MPX decoder).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Vinyl had issues too.  A friend in the Air Force had a cheap stereo and a lot of records.  He got transferred to Italy and bought a very nice audio system, and since his record collection was back in the states, he bought some duplicate albums.  When he came back I borrowed some of his albums to record on my reel-to-reel, and some had both his older album along with the newer album he had purchased. 

When I ran a level check on some of the newer albums they sounded muddy, for lack of a better term.  When I put on the old copies that had been played on his cheap stereo they sound nice and crisp, except for the pops and crackles his cheap system put on them.  My guess is the record company used the pressing disks longer than they should have resulting in an inferior sounding album.  The sound was so bad I wound up using his older albums despite the pops and crackles.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

My 1st system I listen to in seclusion of the addition basement is

MC275 (2006 reissue)
MC22 (2016 Reissue)
Klipsch Cornwall, 80s model.
Technics turntable with Orthophone cartrdge
SA14-S1 CD
ZX9 Nak

My second is

Pair of Eico HF-22
MC22 original issue
SA14-S1
Klipsch Cornwall, 1970s (I think - vertical horns).
Dragon Nak (when it comes from Willie).
Thorens TD124 when I restore it.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

My other Nak deck. 682ZX

[Image: https://i.imgur.com/K9rmnD9.jpg]

People praise 682ZX. I guess what separates it from say CR7 is the capstan drive (belt vs direct) but from what I read so far, folks still like it a lot, some even claiming it sounds better on playback than the Dragon, CR7 or ZX-9. Some on Tapeheads have all the major Naks in one house.
I only can account for ZX-9. Now I will have the second one.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Baby oil for speaker cones, everyday you learn.

Paul

Tubetalk1

Sadly there is no modern music because there are no real musicians any more. It's all just noise; off key, off tempo, and out of synch with no semblance of a tune buried in there somewhere. So called modern jazz is tantamount to scratching your nails across a chalkboard. Benny Goodman, Harry James, and Jack Teagarden would play circles around the wannabes.

As for vocals, I'm certain there are some great voices out there but unless they are good looking and can gyrate they don't get a shot and if they do the vocal is processed into mush. Raise your hand if you can understand every word being "sung". I'll take Dinah Washington, Sarah Vaughn, Billie Holiday, or Julie London any day over anyone out there today. Think about this, with her looks it's unlikely that Ella Fitzgerald would ever get a shot in today's music industry. She wasn't pretty, and didn't dance or gyrate, she could just sing the doors off the place and that simply wouldn't be enough.

If you want to see and hear some really special musicians search youTube for Hazel Scott and Dorothy Donegan, two phenominal piano players. Watch Hazel play two pianos at the same time, one with each hand. I was impressed. Icon_thumbup

Baby oil is mineral oil plus fragrance.
I'd rather use the stuff without the fragrance.

I was thinking about musical artists, and talent, and so forth. Another singer who I will greatly miss is George Michael. He had such a good singing voice, and when he wanted to, could really make some classic songs SING!

(06-12-2018, 09:05 PM)morzh Wrote:  Baby oil is mineral oil plus fragrance.
I'd rather use the stuff without the fragrance.

LOL, I have the best smelling radios around. If you get too much on cone, baby power will absorb excess. Icon_wink

I meant to say mineral oil.  Icon_redface  

Use only a small amount, just enough to tell it's been applied. May take two or three applications. A small amount won't do harm, I dunno about a good dousing.

Tom

35Z5

I hate baby oil smell. Never used it on my kids, nor did the powder, and all was fine without it. Pretty much the commercials sell those, no real need in them.
Then again, I found out same amount of real need in child-proofing and such. It's amazing how much money people could be convinced to part with when properly scared or brainwashed.

Russ wrote>>> P.S. Similar trickery has been applied to hardware. Take for instance "Blows" (Bose). They boost sloppy base at one freq (ported) and add a few cheap tweeters (missing most everything between 200hz and 800hz - so they have adjusted the "loudness" just like most people do). Sounds OK for a few minutes unless you have heard the song before on a better system.<<<
So true. My buddy and his wife bought a Bose when they first came out, paid stupid money for it, and were sorely disappointed. That to me was the worst sounding player I'd ever heard. Bass sounded absolutely horrible and distorted. Lacked any and all depth of sound. Then much later, my mother-in-law went out and bought one. I tried to warn her, but I guess they had a really good infomercial touting their bogus wares. She could afford to make the mistake, so I dropped the subject.

One should let their mothers in law make mistakes.

Personally, after acquiring my first Klipsch Cornwall set, I didn't have any other candidates when I needed the second one.

Mike said>>>It's amazing how much money people could be convinced to part with when properly scared or brainwashed.<<<
No truer words have ever been said...