Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Line cord 42-1008

Is there a source for a line cord,power cord for a 42-1008 ? Has a rubber pull through strain release.Brown two wire.

Speaking only for myself, as others may have different sources / styles of line cords they like to use, but I've always been happy with these from Mark Oppat: http://www.oldradioparts.net/wire.html I've used them on dozens of radios over the years.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

You won't find a line cord with a molded on strain relief. At least, I'm not aware of any.

Radio Daze does sell a replacement strain relief (only) that you would use with your own AC cord, or the cord which Greg linked to above.

http://www.radiodaze.com/black-rubber-st...em-pcsr-1/

Be aware: I've tried this, and it is smaller than the original and, as a result, may not stay in place as well as the original did.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Is you BOL working? I have 2 42-1008's. One I completely restored, the other is a parts unit, but it's complete. I buy extension cords from Home Depot and cut off one end. That's what I have on my working 1008.

Had the same experience with those strain relief's, Ron. Too small. I just went with a rubber grommet in the hole through the chassis and a knot in the cord on both sides of the chassis wall.

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

I thought that the strain reliefs were molded into the power cords on 1940s Philcos, at least on the past several I overhauled, I know this because I had to cut through them to remove what was left of the old, rock hard, and crumbling rubber cords these sets came with?
Regards
Arran

Greg

I'm sure you have noticed that the Philcos of that era have a metal lip on the inside of the chassis hole through which the original cord-molded strain relief passed through. You can't just put a conventional grommet in there (too narrow). How did you handle it? I have resorted to cutting the lip away with my Dremel tool at times so that I could install a conventional grommet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron

That's exactly what I've done, too.

Used Radio Daze strain relief and extension cord from Lowes. Cut off the female end and now have a 12 foot line cord. The strain relief worked perfectly. Good and tight at chassis.

Another way around that lip, if you are concerned about it cutting into the insulation of the power cord, would be to add a flat fiber, rubber, or plastic washer between the knot and the lip on the inside, but I have not noticed the edge of that lip being particularly sharp. Honestly i do not know why Philco did this with their chassis, even in using the cords with the molded on strain relief, I guess that they had the expectation that someone would only buy a replacement power cord from a Philco jobber, kind of like the derangement they seemed to have against someone using metal tubes in their sets. In any even they were using these style of power cord until the early 1950s at least, all made out of natural rubber, and all now rock hard and crumbling.
Regards
Arran

Bol not working ,will be sending it to Antique sound in CT. for a rebuild. He refurbs the BOL,radio all ok. Dead silent without ant. connected volume wide open. Amazing!!!

Heres a fuzzy pic of results.

Attached Files Image(s)

A possible solution for those who want to replace a power cord through one of these fanged holes is to buy a roll of the uncured rubber electrical tape from any good hardware store. Wrap some around the cord where it will pass through the hole. make it thick enough in diameter so that it needs to be squashed a bit to fit through. It will cure into solid rubber after a while, it will protect the cord, and act just like a "molded on" strain relief.

Good idea. Will use in future. These ideas are helpful and thanks to all.