Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Lighted Philco sign

I don't know if this is the correct forum to post this in but, I have a line on this lighted sign from the early 30's has an all metal frame , measures 48 x 10 high x 8 deep.  Anyone have an idea of what it' worth?

Attached Files Image(s)

I guess I should also ask,  Would you pay 750 bucks for it?    LOL

I wouldn't. Some folks might.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Here is a pic of the sign lit up

Attached Files Image(s)

Are you looking to acquire this sign?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

That is just so totally awesome! Looks all original. Of course, if it was unrestored, I would pay that price in a heartbeat! I suppose it would depend on to what extent it has been "modified" or repaired. From the couple of pics., it looks PHantastic!

(06-09-2018, 09:35 PM)morzh Wrote:  I wouldn't. Some folks might.

+1. However...

If you really love it and have the $$$, then I say get it.

It was made before WWII. Philco used that "A musical instrument of quality" slogan from 1932-1942. The design appears to date from the 1930s.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

From what I've seen, collectible radio advertising signs and clocks bring a lot more $$$ than the radios they advertised. $750 doesn't seem too far out of line from what I've seen more recent signs go for and it seems from the pic to be in decent shape. You might find something for a lower price tag, then again, you may never see that particular sign again. As Ron said...if you like it and its worth it to you then the price is right.

Well...this is why I wouldn't.

I am not an antiques collector. I am a radio collector. Radio is a piece of old technology. Although some folks will collect them purely as antiques, that is as pieces of furniture for decor, them not even having to function.
To me signs are antiques. I'm not opposed to it, au contraire, I would put one up on a wall, but only if get one free or cheap. To kinda keep the spirit. But they are not truly pieces of periode-appropriate technology, they are glorified lanterns and, other than what's written on them, are ABSOLUTELY NOT DIFFERENT from todays lighted signs. They are pure decorative antiques.
This is why I wouldn't get it for the price. And this is why I understand why some folks would.

Thanks for the input folks!  I don' love it enough for the 750 bucks.  Someone else will I'm sure.

I'm kind of wondering about this sign, the way in which it was constructed is sort of odd. To me it appears to be about 4' long at least, which is kind of large for a sign meant to sit on top of a shelf in on a window display. It there an illustration of one in a catalog somewhere that we could compare it too? 
Regards
Arran