Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco in Canada

Question for Ron, and anyone else who may have insight into the history of Philco in Canada: I recently purchased a model 112, in the Bel Geddes design Highboy cabinet. I was told by the seller that this radio was owned by the original purchasers family, before she bought it. The chassis has mostly balloon tubes, with a couple shouldered...but all still "Made in Canada". The tubes were tested at various dates in the 30's and 40's, all at a local Philco dealer "Wade and Richards" as decals on the tubes say. But, the chassis and cabinet do not bare the typical "Philco Products Ltd" metal data tag that was affixed to all radios built/sold by Philco in Canada. In fact, there is no tag or decal on the chassis at all.

Now, sets sold in Canada prior to Philco setting up a factory here in 1930 were double tagged with the U.S. and Canadian tags, and then after August of 1930, all sets sold here were built here...or so I thought. 

Is it possible that Philco imported certain sets, particularly high end ones? And then didn't tag them? I find that would be odd if they did, seeing that there was a 40% tariff on imported sets. Could a dealer request a certain model, and get it shipped in direct?

Attached Files Image(s)