Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco or Philco-Ford stereos

Did Philco ever make any good console stereos or stereos in general? Seems all that I ever see pop up around here and online are the Phlico-Ford units. Actually, might not be against one of those if I can ever get some stuff sold! Ohio wants you to buy everything, but is a pain to sell in! Icon_thumbdown  Anyways, might even a Philco-Ford Stereo be a decent item to pursue? Already got a big RCA and a 90% working Zenith. Might as well get the Philco! (Oh, the Silvertone is back too, but still has an issue with the changer. Icon_rolleyes )

No matter where you go, there you are.

By the time Ford bought Philco, Philco had frankly become crap.

I know, that is going to shock some of you by my saying that, but it is the truth.

Philco began its downhill slide in 1938 when they began to cheapen their products...and it only became worse from there.

If you want a really good stereo, Jayce, don't waste your money on Philco. Go with The Fisher instead. (warning - Fisher console stereos usually sell for $$$ to $$$$.)

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Sounds like I am good with my Silvertone, Zenith, and RCA units then. I was just wondering. Fishers are out of my range, but maybe a cheap Maggie someday.

HH Scott amps can be had for acceptable amount of money.
That is if one wants antique stereo.
Honestly, a fairly modern 90s Onkyo systems sounded quite nicely.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Jayce;
  Philco had their ups and downs for quality, it really depends on the year, I don't think that the units from the 1960s are that bad but they aren't really anything special either, really just pedestrian consumer grade stuff. Other then Magnavox a lot of companies were cheapening up by the 1960s, Philco isn't the only one guilty of that, and they really took a dump by the mid 70s. Another make to look for is a brand called "Clairtone", "Leak" is another, I don't know if they sold these in the U.S but they were an above average brand in Canada, even so I would pay more then about $50 for one. Apparently some of the Motorola stereos are quite interesting, many of the high end models had a sort of third channel in the center. Whatever you do, stay away from Curtis Mathes, the older ones might be all right but most of the ones you see were overpriced garbage, cheap particleboard and plastic cabinets with imported chassis, in spite of their bragging about being "The Most Expensive TV in America and darn worth it".
Regards
Arran

The "center bass channel" was the in thing just prior to MPX stereo FM.  Most(if not all) used a PP output transformer for punch that combined R&L channels into one for center. On combo AM/FM was also common to see selector position that one channel was fed AM, the other FM. A few stations transmitted R & L channels separately on the different bands. Short lived as it was useless after FCC approved FM MPX in late '61.

I had a small 1960-ish(I believe J-whatever model) Philco amp with center channel I got from a old friend. Used a pair of 6AQ5, feeding R&L output transformers in series with center channel. Kind of a cheezy setup, I removed the separate transformers as R&L had all the punch of the common AA5. After removing the high freq rolloff cap. It was fair as a single channel PP amp, used it briefly as a driver for a plate modulated transmitter.

Tom

Arran, I've seen Clairtone stereos several times over the years, but always wrote them off as a cheap off-brand. Now I'll have to look at them a bit closer!

Magnavox would be an excellent choice, I think. Motorola should be good as well.

I am not familiar with Clairtone.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

(06-20-2018, 09:27 AM)35Z5 Wrote:  The "center bass channel" was the in thing just prior to MPX stereo FM. ...

35Z5, my Fisher TA-600 has a "center channel" output. I don't remember right now if my 500-S and 500-B have this as well (I'm at work) but they probably do. As I recall, my 600-T also has a center channel output. I've never tried this feature, though.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

My 1962 RCA has the center channel on it as well. Also, it was made for an optional FM multiplex or you could run both AM and FM together to try for stereo. The amp in mine uses three 6BQ5's in it. One for each channel and the third for a bass channel. Today I am fussing with taking those two Silvertone 7407 units and making one good one. Now those have four 6BQ5 tubes so it has push-pull on each side. They are are real thumpers with the matched speakers!

The Clairtone consoles were not junkers, at least not the ones I have heard of. There is one series of models that is popular because of it's sort of space age modern/"Clockwork Orange" look called a "Project G". I have yet to see one of those though, the ones I've seen are the typical stereo "coffins" that were offered by everyone else, but maybe better built.
Regards
Arran

I'm not sure the Clairtones were sold in US, at least not in south. I've never seen or actually even heard of them.

I believe there was something sold in '70s/'80s with similar sounding name that was the "economy special" of consoles.. Had particle board cabinets and maybe four/five watts of thumping power. I parted out a similar Electrophonic console, I believe were also sold under various names.

Tom