Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What did I get myself into?

Caps ordered. A whole $11.02. Shipped.

A lot cheaper that buying HD parts.  [Image: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/images/smi...on_lol.gif]

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Yes lord. I have 3 old sportsters so I know the pain well

Nick's used HD parts in Winslow,or Williamstown,, N.J.----has a web page or 2,,,old stuff for sure

I thought Nicks was sold a few years back?

Will a modern tv antenna work with these radios?

Not so much.

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

So, the copper wire 50-100 feet long is the way to go?  I can run it right up my tv antenna.

Got the signal generator. Thanks again. Now I learn how to use it.

[Image: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1825/4236...5f18_c.jpg]IMG_0950 by brianbbs67, on Flickr

If you are going with a "long wire" antenna, make sure the antenna wire is insulated on both ends with glass, ceramic, or plastic insulators. You will also want a good ground. The ground is as important as the antenna. You can buy a ground rod at any hardware store, and the clamp to connect the lead in wire to it. For the antenna itself you can use bare, stranded copper wire. I would not use less than 16 gauge, 14 or 12 gauge would be better. The lead in wire can be 16 or 14 gauge insulated wire. Make sure you solder the lead in wire to the antenna wire well, and that you make a secure mechanical connection between them before soldering, that is, wrap it around several times before you solder the lead in to the antenna wire. Also use a lightning arrester. The lead in from the antenna connects to one post of the arrester, the lead in from the ground post connects to the other post of the arrester, and they each continue on to the radio. As to the length of the antenna, as long as possible. 75 feet is good, 125 is even better. This illustration may be of help.
[Image: https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Q-XDPtDzxAw/T.../lwire.jpg]
I hope this is of help. Also, if you have power lines, have the antenna at right angles to them to minimize interference from them.

Hmmm 300m would be center of the bcb. Div by 4=75m=246'. Pretty long!

Brian I was a little worried abt it getting there w/o damage but it looks dandy!

Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I have a good ground thanks to building inspection.

Yep got here with no issues.

(06-28-2018, 09:17 PM)mikethedruid Wrote:  If you are going with a "long wire" antenna...

Is there a better alternative? I have no overhead power, but lots of trees. Is there a modern alternative?

(06-28-2018, 10:38 PM)Radioroslyn Wrote:  Hmmm 300m would be center of the bcb. Div by 4=75m=246'. Pretty long!

Brian I was a little worried abt it getting there w/o damage but it looks dandy!

Is there another way? I hope so.(antenna)