Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

44B vs. 144B dial differences?

I recently acquired a Philco 144B that has suffered a catastrophic dial cleaning.

I see that RadioDaze sells part# 27-5028 dial scale for the 44B, but they do not list part# 27-5044 dial scale for the 144B.

The band coverage listed in Riders is identical for both radios, on all 4 bands.

Can anyone tell me what the differences are between the two dials, and whether they are interchangeable?

Thanks!
Rodney

That is a Bummer , maybe one turns up on the Bay or maybe a mark Oppat question, he has lots of parts? A wanted post on other forum maybe?

Paul

Tubetalk1

I don't believe there is any difference, other than whether (or not) the dial is the same for the later 144s since they use a different tuning mechanism.

I have a 44B but no 144 to go by.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi, that's a good point, Ron. Even though the markings are the same, the slot for the tuning shaft could be a different width. I hadn't thought of that.

I will have to pull it out of the cabinet this weekend and make some measurements. Thanks!

Well, I just got back to this after a few weeks, and it looks like the dials are definitely different.

I think the hash marks and numerals for the different frequencies are identical between the 44 and 144.

However, the keyhole cutout for mounting the 144 dial appears to be much larger than than the keyhole for the 44B.  I measured it at 2.32" diameter as installed.

Also, while the freq. markings are the same, some of the ancillary markings are different from those shown at Radio Daze.  For instance, in the 11.5 - 12.0 MHz range, the 44 dial says "SW Broadcast."  The 144 dial says "-------- SW ---------".  Some of the ship, amateur, phone markings are not on the 144 dial at all.

Attached Files Image(s)